Wednesday, November 18, 2009

'Tis the season to be jiggly.

I bet any insomniac knows who this guy is.

Dan made his first batch of fudge of the season and left it in a plastic tub on our kitchen table...all day...in the same apartment where I live and work and often seek distraction. I had no less than seven pieces. I had to finally ask him to get it out of here. "Put it in your car if you have to!"

I know my limitations. Resisting fudge is just not something I'm capable of. The one-inch cubes are so small that I can actually convince myself that I didn't really eat anything because something that small doesn't count and couldn't possibly do harm. It's not like I'm swallowing a heaping ladle of sugar. (That's exactly what it's like.) As the days shorten, my body starts doing that carb-craving thing (pretty sure fudge is a 'good' carb) and in the past few years, as womanhood has become me more and more, I've noticed a fun little pattern of putting on winter weight. (Oh, the fun of estrogen never ends!) I'm really trying not to do that this year. Tubs of fudge---delicious, fresh, creamy fudge made on my own stove top---don't help.

So far it's just been about 4 o'clock sunsets and spaghetti and meatballs but next week marks the start of the holiday season (the goddamn, mother-fucking, hap-happiest season of all) and that's when things get really hard. What am I supposed to do then, skip all the parties for hosting, marshmallows for toasting and caroling out in the snow? (Let's be honest, I haven't hosted a party since I was 20 and the only hosting duty involved knocking on the neighbor's door to let her know we'd be loud---nothing short of a Valium could get me through one now---and aren't marshmallows more of a summer thing?) But even if I skip those, there will still be almond crescent cookies for yumming, peanut butter balls for gumming and gigantic piles of blow.

The pressure is unbearable. How am I supposed to not drink wine when it's just sitting there in someone's cellar waiting to be uncorked? Who do I look like, Candy Finnigan? (Such joy every time I am able to use her name on here.)

In this month's O Magazine, Dr. Phil told me to say this to my loved ones when facing holiday eating pressure or cravings (HEP-C): "I have a lot invested in what I'm doing, so please don't take offense if I either bring my own food or turn down something you've worked hard to make. This is really important to me, and I appreciate your support." I'll let you know how that goes down with my foodie family...

The fact is that I want to indulge. I want to play. With all due respect to my digestive tract (which will certainly make its opposition to this known) I'm going to bend some of my own rules. The days of no gluten, no eating after 8, and no spiked nog before noon will have to return after the new year. I could use some holiday cheer and by that I mean holiday cheese. Everything in moderation---blah de bloo de blah blah.

But, though I want to loosen the reins, I don't want to loosen my belt if I can help it. I've learned too much and worked too hard to get a giant ass for Christmas (especially since I wanted a pony). (I like this one better.)

So, with the start of the holiday season comes the start of a new exercise routine: Tony Horton's Power90 Boot Camp. It's absolutely as cheesy as it sounds. It's a 90-day at-home video program. I alternate between a cardio video and a weight-lifting video, six days a week. I'm starting off at level 1-2 of the "Sculpt!" and "Sweat!" videos (as well as the "Ab Ripper 100"...I swear to gawd!) but eventually will move up to the level 3-4 videos (as well as, you guessed it, the "Ab Ripper 200" video). I'm not the gym type (except for when I had a $10/month membership and went one time because I lost power in my apartment and didn't want to miss Ellen) so at-home videos work for me.

(If you think that's dorky, you should see my unitard. My mom used to do Jane Fonda videos, it's genetic. I promise a care-package of fudge to anyone who can find me an online video of the song "There's so much more to you than meets the eye" from the Jane Fonda "New Workout" video. I don't think Jane is the singer as I seem to remember another brunette taking center stage, but it's foggy. I looked all over and couldn't find anything. Seriously, I'll send you fudge.)

I officially started Sunday so the program, if I stick to it, will bring to me February...just in time for bathing suit season. If I can figure it out I'll try to chart the progress here. I'm not sure I'm up to talking weight (I once got kicked out of gym class rather than let my P.E. teacher, a man whom I loved and still consider a conquest I'd like to land in this lifetime, weigh me) but maybe I can do some sort of pounds lost kind of thing. (This, of course, assuming there are pounds lost which, considering the whole calories in/calories out concept, might not happen until January.)

So, now that I have a plan, who's coming with me? I said, WHO'S COMING WITH ME?! C'mon, you know you've seen the infomercials and were thinking of buying the videos anyway. I already tried to get Dan and my sister Bec on board but apparently the week before Thanksgiving isn't the ideal time to solicit exercise partners. Who knew? I suppose I'll have to rely on cyber-support from the message boards.

No matter what, it's on. I wrote it here. That means it's in stone. Wait, wasn't there another promise I made here that involved a three-month commitment?

Melliterary Spew

The 12 days 'til Bookish are such a pain to me! I'm going to need fuel. Since the days of smoking butts are over (four years on Christmas Eve---holla!), whatever shall I use?



Seriously, can you blame me?

14 comments:

Jessica said...

Thanks for making me laugh! Also, you're beautiful. So eat your fudge. OK, OK, and I of course support you in all your endeavors to be healthy and happy. But only--ONLY--if you also eat SOME fun food. K?

Love!

Lola Mellowsky said...

Jarvino, I am so glad to see you on here (and, as always, you're the sweetest)! Listen, I will eat ANYTHING your mom makes. You know I'll never give up on eating...though tofu icecream is decidedly out of the question. Come have wine on my couch next weekend and we'll talk all about it.

katjak said...

Leslie Lillian was the singer you speak of from Jane's video. And Peggy Lipton was the flexible one. "Hot cross buns whoo!". Btw, when does Dan start making his peanutbutter balls? Just wonderin'...

kidtaco said...

At the risk of coming home to a house torn apart like a prison cell toss, the fudge is still in the house.

Lola Mellowsky said...

Katie---I hate you! "Hot cross buns whoo!" That's what she said, right? You're memory is unreal. I am searching for that song, I so need to hear it! "Squeeze, squeeze, freeze." Also, PB ball season is upon us and may even start this weekend.

Dan---I could smell that fudge. I sort of thought it was here but I didn't want to go looking. Keep it out of view---that's half the battle! Same goes for your PB balls!

becky.breslin said...

I just want to say fuck you (at the risk of sounding too crass on a public blog, but the hell with it) for two reasons...
1)You brought that friggen fudge to my house to rid yourself of it and any temptation!
2) All that mention of the mere word "fudge" created a need so intense...that I ate a piece during this read! WTF!

I'm with you, Lo! I am, I am, I am...just after thanksgiving! And...if you do bring your own food to my house..I will support you ONLY after you've indulged in one of my almond crescent cookies...cuz, let's face it, those are heaven on earth!

Katie-you are the biggest ass of ALL that you remembered or found out who sang that song!

Dan -your fudge ROCKS...it is still so creamy and delicious!
thank you for a great laugh, lo..!

kidtaco said...

How did you smell the fudge Lola? Are you like one of them pigs with truffles (no offense meant - I just thought it was a funny image)

Quite a trucker mouth on the Becky person.

Unknown said...

F-U-D-G-E

Feeling
Uneasy that
Dan
Garners all the holiday
Ettention

with his freakin fudge!

kidtaco said...

J-E-A-L-O-U-S

Jeff
Eagerly
Awaits
Lederer's
Overzealous cooking
Undertakings to
Shit the bed

Lola Mellowsky said...

Lovin' the banter here.

Benny---First of all, we here at The Spew appreciate crassness of every form. A blog comment that begins with the words 'fuck you' feels like home.

Second, I'm sorry for passing the fudge off to you but you have enough people who pass through your home (including Mol) for it to go. If it were to stay at my house it would be me eating every last piece.

Third, I'll plan to bring my turkey protein shake over for T-day. (I'll use it as a dipping sauce for those almond crescent cookies...mmm. Yes, please.)

Dan---Calling me a pig is never a good idea...no matter the form. (But, yes, my smelling of sweets in this house is very much like that.)

Brez---Can you be my feature poet Lolaeate? (Instead of Laureate, get it?) You continue to impress.

Dan and Brez---How 'bout a little online poetry slam?

kidtaco said...

There once was a man from Windham,
who's glasses he liked to put gin in.
And he said for his toast,
"To the in-laws I like most,
I wish you a happy tanks-givin'"

The gauntlet's been thrown

Unknown said...

Twas the day before throw down
When Dan got first word
Jeff better get to thinking
I can't be the nerd!

The gauntlets been thrown
By the man they call Dan
I hope to destroy him
Even though I'm a fan

kidtaco said...

A challenge was on
and Jeff was up for the game
his quick witted poems
put Lederer to shame.

Lola Mellowsky said...

Love the poetry slam, fellas! Keep it going! Maybe we should change the venue to the Breslin living room.