Sunday, March 21, 2010

Family bonding




The nausea came today. Peppermint tea and a prescribed med got her through it but a general crumminess overcame her. Fatigue was the symptom du jour and she slept for a chunk of the day. Still, she's still 300 times better than I thought she would be. She made the apple sauce for our pork chop and apple sauce (and baked potato and spinach) dinner and I was glad to finally get that recipe under my belt. Then we sat at the kitchen table for a bit while she told the kind of amazing stories from her childhood that only come out during unexpected moments of tenderness like a random Sunday night mother/daughter dinner.

Later, as she relaxed on the couch, I made a vegetable broth (in case she's resistant to eating tomorrow as her appetite was already waning today) and a giant salad (in case her appetite is just fine). Then I joined her for some tube time. We started with Step Brothers and had a few a big laughs before she dubbed it "too disturbing" and changed the channel. (File Step Brothers under Movies Not To Be Watched With One's Mother.) Then we switched to Hoarders---you wanna talk disturbing?---and ultimately landed on her favorite: "My Raymond." Now I'm watching it by myself (and, by the way, loving it) while she is fast asleep. After I finish this, I'll wake her to go up to her bedroom.

If my mom is still doing okay tomorrow then I'll probably head home. I'm missing me some Dan and it's time to recharge. I had been beginning to wonder if I had made the right decision regarding staying the weekend here. A conversation like tonight's at the table answers that question.

2 comments:

ellieb said...

i love that kitchen table...almost as much as the stories that ensue while sitting around it...
thinking of you all...

**great remedy for nausea during treatments-aloe (either in juice or pure form) You can find in a health food store or GNC -the juice is usually a bit more palatable.

big love

Lola Mellowsky said...

That's a famous table, right? Thanks for the advice on the aloe juice---I had no idea it came in juice form. Will definitely look into it. Gig left me a message this morning saying that much of the nausea had passed so hopefully she's out of the woods. Thanks for checking in and sending the love!