Thursday, September 2, 2010

She's not there anymore!


I'm telling you: Best. Nurses Ever. (Though the action in this shot is somewhat staged.)

It's not so much a roller coaster right now as it is a Freefall (to speak Rocky Point, the amusement park of my youth), followed by the haunted mansion with its moments of levity and an understanding that at any moment something will be popping up to scare the shit out of you.

That's the state of things right now. Yesterday morning I was shifting gears from deciding to stay put in NH for a few days to bombing down to the hospital because a gut-check told me it was the right thing to do. When I got there my mom looked very sick and very tired. Today, her pain finally managed and after the first good night's sleep of the week, she looks and seems much, much better. She is back home tonight; a moment of levity.

I wanted to be sure I posted this as soon as I could because I think yesterday's post may have caused some panic among my mom's loved ones (and understandably so). Five days ago when we heard the news that you all just got yesterday, I was panicked. She was panicked. (Yesterday morning, we were all still panicked.) But today, GiG is looking better and is certainly on an upswing. As my dad said, "Today doesn't look like a good day for dying." (You have to laugh or you’ll lose it.)

It doesn't erase what the oncologist said, it doesn't change the fact that my mom has cancer, but hearing her voice getting stronger today, seeing her color return, watching her get relief from pain, changes the way it all feels. Today, she doesn't look like she's dying, she looks like GiG. As my dad wrote this morning when I asked how she seemed, "Like mom---happy, upbeat." I just wanted all of you who have written to know how well she’s doing today. If you didn’t know she has cancer, you really wouldn’t know she has cancer.

Comedy arrived as we readied to leave the hospital this afternoon. They asked us if we would be interested in taking some pictures with some of the nurses (the best nurses on the planet) for a future brochure/mailer they are putting together about the hospital’s oncology program.

“Will there be a fan?” I asked, freshening up my lipstick.

Turns out when they asked the nurses which of the floor’s patients they should do the photo shoot with, all the nurses said, “Jeanne” (my mom’s real name), without hesitation. After three hospitalizations, my mom has built a relationship with every one of these women (and Eric the lone male RN whom we adore) and the photographer was shocked to see that there was such a warm rapport amongst us all that he need not conjure it as he had expected to for the photo. If we end up in any brochures, you can bet I’ll post it here. The whole thing was a friggin’ riot and the fact that my mom is so loved by the staff is just so representative of who she is; she loves and is loved back wherever she goes.



Here's the first shot we took with Patty, Nancy and Juliette (whose permission I didn't get to publish these photos...or their names...and am hoping is okay...and legally sound).



Had to include this one too because who's holding whose hand now? Huh? Huh? But in Juliette's defense (my girl crush is massive in this case as well), the photographer instructed us to do some hand-holding, which explains why my mom is getting in on the action. You'll be happy to know that I played it cool and acknowledged the awkwardness of it as soon as the photographer said it. Also, because I was a "bottom," the let-go (which is, of course, where catastrophe lurks) was not up to me, which is I think what saved me from another pinky situation.

Though we really will miss those guys, it's always good when she leaves. She belongs in her home, no matter the storm heading in.

It's bizarre how different it can all feel from day to day. I was watching the weather report with my sister Cherie tonight and we were saying how strange it is to see that tomorrow is supposed to bring the kind of chaos that warrants coverage on every news channel and preparation by the masses...followed by days and days of calm and sun. That’s how today feels with my mom seeming so much better. The storm that came with the words “three to four months” has settled into brightness...it’s never as bad as they say it will be, right?

8 comments:

Talk2mrsh said...

Such excellent news! "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." You know as well as anyone that I'm not a Bible quoter, but this one is big help to me or I try to let it be. Or to quote another of my sources of strength and inspiration, my Mary Englebreit calendar - Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of its strength. -Corrie Ten Boom And I love the dark humor! At least for me it goes a long way as a coping skill. When we were dealing with Kyle's melanoma and all the uncertainty of what might come, his dermatologist said our families' dark humor in the face of it was a "very healthy coping skill". Even though the flip side of the moment may be nearly paralytic terror at what life is handing you.

becky.breslin said...

I just let out a sigh.... dad's texts to me yesterday told me much of the same which was a huge relief...granted the relief is only for a day, but it is always good to hear when she is "herself." I never like the sound of her having to go home with 450 pills but I prefer no pain for her...at any cost! These pictures are hilarious...those nurses really are wonderful. The irony is that these wonderful women are doing what mom had always done for all of her patients...she was born to do that job so I am really glad that the nurses chosen for her are equally as wonderful as she is.
Lots of love, Lo...thanks for giving us all the details that I don't always get through the phone calls or texts...when I can't be there during the week. xoxo

Jen Vidotto said...

Oncology nurses are pretty special,huh? Thank goodness for them!
I loved the way you put things at the end there. Very happy her storm has passed for now.
Elisabetta is very excited to meet her cousins,auntie and uncle soon. She has heard so much about you all she just can't wait!
Lots of kisses all around!
Love jen

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures, Beautiful story, "Simply" Jeanne being her Beautiful giving self, How Freaking fantastic is that!!! What an inspiration [always has been}Love her and Always will!!!!

Anonymous said...

What a great relief for her to be rid of the pain & home in her own damn bed! Thanks for the update!

xoxo
BFYNM

P.S. We were meant to be together. I own the very same tank top. That is fate.

nancymanchester said...

It's always good to turn your face to the sun and enjoy the brightness...
((hugs))! Nancy

Anonymous said...

I've been away since Wednesday so I missed a lot I guess...I've read up on the Spew & haven't commented because I just don't know what to say...I'm trying to let my heart tell me what to say but it feels only sadness and disappointment. I will continue to pray for all of you. Please keep us up to date on how she's doing. I love you all very much.

Beth the Anonymous xoxo

Lola Mellowsky said...

VH---That's the first bible quote I've ever understood and I like it..."Each day has enough trouble of its own..." ha!

Benny---It's totally wonderful to see mom receive the same care that she's given everyone else; it's so neat to see how at home she is at the hospital.

Jen---All nurses are great!

Anonymous---I agree, she's only herself yet totally radiant.

BFINM---Our tank tops unite us further...Maybe we should plan to wear them when we finally meet.

Nancy---Love the image of turning your face to the sun... I guess sometimes that's a choice, right?

Beth---We love you too. Hang in there, cuz.