Tuesday, December 21, 2010

I'll be home for Christmas...


It was very hard for me to take the last picture off of the top spot but this one made me feel okay about it. She had hoped to see one last snow...

So, I’m going to try to just jump back in, okay? No long explanation about how/why I needed to just drop off the planet for a bit. How I needed space, privacy, time to just die a while by myself. How I’m not really out of that place and can’t promise I am back for good on this blog, but want to try because I feel like a bit of a shit for dropping off like that without any explanation (though I’m sure you got it). You should know that I’m sorry. I don’t flatter myself that anyone was losing sleep over my absence, but I don’t take it lightly or for granted that you guys show up here to read this stuff, so not writing for close to two months didn’t sit right. I’m sorry for not calling...it’s not you, it’s me.

More to the point, I really want to wish you all the happiest of holidays. You were with me through so much of this thing. There was such great support offered here and I drew so much strength from all of your words and I hope you know how deeply thankful I am. The kind of gratitude I feel for all of you---to those who wrote and followed along here, to all the people who showed up at my mom’s wake and funeral, to every person who told me a story of my mom that I had never heard, or expressed their love for her, or their memory of her laugh---this kind of gratitude is so much bigger than cursive letters stretched across the front of a note card. The words thank you feel too trite for the depth of this gratitude. In fact, the synonyms for gratitude---thankfulness, appreciation, etc.---don’t cover it. Gratitude, simple and vast, is the only word that comes close.

So please feel this gratitude and take it into your hearts while you’re celebrating the holidays with your families and friends. While you’re listening to Nat King Cole, when your stomachs and hearts are full, when you pull back from the table and feel grateful yourself for all that you have, please know that I will be feeling grateful for you. The grief is at times oppressive, the longing ceaseless, but when I reflect on all the love and thoughtfulness shown during my mom’s illness and after her death, I feel the joy of her and I thank you all for that (even though I just said I didn’t want to use the words thank you).

This season has been difficult, of course, and all month Dan and I have talked about jumping on a plane and going somewhere warm for Christmas. Just getting gone, really, it doesn’t matter where. When I think of trying to gather with my family, trying to engage in the spirit of this holiday that my mom planted and grew in all of us, the throb of her absence is unbearable (though I know I am bearing it...we all are). So I wanted to leave so that I would not feel it. So that my body would be so disoriented by foreign sights and smells that my mom’s absence Christmas morning would just be another of all these alien senses, perhaps even camouflaged in the mess. But I’ve since decided otherwise and will celebrate this year at my sister Becky’s house up here in NH, which she and her husband have generously opened up to all of us once again. (Will somebody tell Bec?)

It was a gradual shift, I guess. But the thing that really clinched it was stopping at my parents’ house on my way out of town last Friday night and seeing the long rectangular folding table my dad had set up in the middle of the living room, a roll of holiday paper stretched across it, a pile of neatly wrapped presents beside it on the floor. Alone now in a home he shared with my mom for close to 40 years (during which he probably never wrapped a Christmas gift), he set up this wrapping station where he toiled by the light of a tree he put up only for my nephew’s sake, because he felt my mom guiding him to buy and wrap Christmas presents for his family as she would have done. The sweetness and the sadness of this sight killed me and when my dad showed it to me and then turned back around to see what I thought of his little workshop, I started to weep.

I see my dad trying so hard to to do right by my mom, right by us, and though I know he would understand my going away---in fact, he totally got and supported it---something about this coping mechanism of his is just so loving that I want to try to receive it and reciprocate; same goes for all my family. (I didn’t understand this, however, until I just finished that sentence.)

(Also, I totally reserve the right to have a bipolar attitude shift about the whole thing...perhaps even later today...this happens a lot...Dan loves it and feels very secure in his home as a result.)

I suppose I’m also recognizing that I’m going to feel my mom’s absence no matter where I am and being around people who feel similarly might bring comfort. Or it might not. Part of me thinks that being around family---around women who look like her and a father who longs for her---will make the sadness that much more acute. But I’ve been swinging from one choice to the other in my my brain for weeks and a decision needed to be made. If I get to the house and suddenly feel the need to go home and return to my under-the-blanket den and watch some movie that’s deeply depressing for reasons which have nothing to do with dead mothers (like The Wrestler, which we just got in), the option is always there. So, as long as my family is okay with it (which they all seem to be), I’ll plan on spending the day with them with the caveat that if the want-to-die/cry/hide feeling becomes unbearable, I’ll head out. (Though, of course, my hope and expectation is to enjoy myself.)

I know my siblings are feeling similarly conflicted and displaced by the jarring of the universe that has occurred since my mom’s, our sun’s, death, but they all have children so the going on, particularly with Christmas, is demanded of them in a way it’s not of me. (Thank fucking god...I could no more get out a stack of Christmas cards right now than I could cure cancer.) But then it was this same childless freedom that had me by my mom’s side in the nine months following her diagnosis. I feel so blessed that I was able to be there---I would not change a single thing in that regard---but there are moments of my mom’s suffering, fear and despair that I cannot yet shake, moments of this experience that I keep going over and over in my head, including that of her death, and the fact that it's the holiday season doesn’t slow that down.

We’re all just doing the best we can is the point, I suppose.

And like that, we’re back in the game here on The Spew. I should warn you that I’m not sure where we’re headed. If you thought the shift from Neighbor Stalker Blog to Cancer Mom Blog was unsettling, I’m not sure Dead Mom Blog will be much better. Not that I’m sure that this is the direction things will take. The fact that I can write the words Dead Mom Blog suggests the return of a sense of humor, but the pit I feel in my stomach when looking at them, tells me not to expect consistency. I hope you’re all okay with this. Does it sweeten the deal if I promise no self-penned poetry? You have my word on that. On we go, okay? Maybe a little backwards at times because the recent past is so much a part of the present, but who knows? Last year at this time I had just finished my Bookish updates and vowed that 2010 would be the year I started meditating. Hardy fucking har. The point? I’m not going to even pretend that I have any idea what’s coming...in life or on the blog. (Though, here’s a little teaser: A NEW NEIGHBOR HAS ENTERED THE SCENE...and so far the relationship is entirely boring.)

So...

(I feel like I’m in one of those texting conversations when I don’t know how to end it.)

Merry Christmas (and Happy belated Hanukkah and Thanksgiving for that matter) to all of you. I hope the next couple of weeks are full of all your favorite aspects of life and that the time you spend with friends and family is rich with pleasure, frivolity and spiritual nourishment. If not, Mickey Rourke is just a ride to Blockbuster away...

P.S. Thanks to everyone who gave me the shove back here that I needed and for sticking with me. (And for those who didn’t, go screw! My friggin’ mom died...).

19 comments:

Rob said...

Welcome back. I've been waiting with a worm on my tongure (that is, with bated breath).

Take your time to grieve because we all are, too, if only in our lesser way. I think of GiG every day and probably always will. Just can't help it.

But again, welcome back.

Liz Schlegel said...

Welcome back, cuz. Love you, love your writing and processing and sharing, And if you want to come to VT, know you're always welcome. Even at 3 AM.

Lola Mellowsky said...

Rob---Thanks for the welcome. Thanks for checkin' in. Thanks for driving to RI. And thanks for loving my mom so much. Nuff said.

Liz---Love you better (is what my mom always said in response to ILY). VT was on our list of escape-to lands...don't be surprised if that happens sometime. If it's 3am, we'll wear masks...I mean call. Thanks for gettin' it and bein' there. :)

Margaret said...

I was so happy to see a new post! So flatter yourself, people were patiently waiting for you to find your way back here. It was beautifully written as usual, the part about your Dad and the wrapping paper station brought me to tears. I totally understand your half (maybe more than half) wanting to go far away for Christmas but I think you may find the whole in your heart is even bigger when you don't have your family to fill part of it. No judging either way, just an outsider observation. I wish much happiness for you and all your family for Christmas. You all deserve it.

Allison said...

So glad you're back Laura, even if only for now. Love you and am thinking about you and the family all the time. Hope that you find happiness with the family (or away from it all) over the holiday!

not anonymous said...

Omigod. Do I every love your writing even if I do have something in my eye as I write this.
Flow. That is the best advice I can give. Whatever obstacle comes our way we must flow. We must adapt. We must live. We must love. Her happiness and optimism is our legacy. Our memories will sustain us. Our strength as a family will sustain us. That wonderful,loving,beautiful,kind woman left us that.

Jarvino said...

Yay! So good to have you back. I love you, Ms. Mellow!

becky.breslin said...

This was a hard one for me...but I am so happy that the spew is back and you, Lola, are back in bid-ness. I missed reading the spew over my coffee.

I, too, feel nothing but gratitude...so much of it that it's hard to truly articulate how it feels...but so much gratitude is the best I can do...

Love you, Losey.

becky.breslin said...

PS. I am so glad to hear you will be joining us for Christmas! That made my day. BUT...I would have understood Aruba over us (this year only...). xoxo

Mrs. Coop's said...

Welcom back, beautifully written, take all the time you need we will wait patiently. I miss her so so much. My heart goes out to you all, enjoy your Christmas with your family, all of you being together on Christmas will be good, your Mom will be looking down on you all, she will be there, but, if you need to escape that's ok to. God Bless. Love You.

Jen Vidotto said...

Missed you. Wanted to give you the space you needed but didn't want you to feel alone. Spoke with Bar yesterday, he told me about that "wrapping station". It made me cry just at the thought of it. I think she would be pretty proud of what he has been doing. What do you think?
I totally get the getting away. Happy to hear you are sticking around. Strength in #'s, right?
Thinking of you. Hugs to you and Dan. Love you!

Kate P.R. said...

Hi Lois,
I'm so glad you're back- even if only for now. This was a beautiful piece, heart-wrenching with the right amount of humor tossed in. If what doesn't kill us makes us stronger than the evidence is right here. Your writing is more poignant than ever. Somehow through not knowing what's next, your words seem effortlessly focused. I look forward to following your work through whatever shifts it takes, as it's terrific no matter what.
Love you,
Kate
ps there is a saying...
"where ever you go, there you are"
I'm glad you decided to stay :)
(But if you decide to go, I get it. Totally frickin' get it. As you wish, my dear.) xoxo

ellieb said...

Perfectly said Kate...I couldn't be happier to have you back here, for as long or as little as you wish to show up. You are so truly gifted...I can feel ever word you write and hear your sweet voice. Perfection really.
I showed up here yesterday, right after seeing Dan's post on FB...it was like I was sitting down to open a coveted gift from a dear friend or family member. From go I was brought to tears, as usual ;) but loved your 'perfect amount of humor'...we all needed it and I am so grateful, as we all are, that you are back. Take your time sister...we are patient. And just like Bec said, we will all be at that first book signing--i'll be the one wearing a t-shirt that says "you're number 1 fan" xoxo

Lisasussy said...

U have been in my thoughts ever since leaving RI..I am moved by your efforts to share in the gray area u find yourself..these last 7 weeks have been the longest I have known..could never imagine losing my lovely grandmother and my second mom Gigi on the same weekend..they r only 300 yards from one another..forever enjoying their water view..I am proud of the way that ur all taking good care of one another and not surprised by Barry and his creative and loving way he shows support and love..Gigi taught him well..xoxo..I believe ur mom is smiling down on us all from the Aquidneck island side of heaven..try to enjoy the spirit of the holiday..sending love from across the miles..love u Laura...xoxo

amy gardner mcdonnell said...

holidays can be rough i also lost someone close this year though it took them 10 yrs to die cause of dementia when the xmas come you are brought back to the happy memories and hits you in the heart. her spirit will be with you maybe not always visible send wishes to you and the family

Kristin Rojas said...

Oh Lola.
I can't seem to get myself there. I miss her everyday. I want to crawl in a hole and shut it all out too.
I am so not good for your healing. I just wanted to tell you that I have always loved your writing and think that all of your musings should be a book. I will be with Bec at your book signing.
I adore you Laura.
"Stay strong little root."

Erin Rodrigues said...

Laura- your courage never ceases.. you are an amazing writer! an amazing daughter and an amazing woman- your journey has helped and healed so many in there own struggles...let us all be there as you continue on in yours. Sending you lots of love and strength--- and permission to crawl back in to your hole :)....Erin Rodrigues

katjak said...

Lo- just want to say, as usual, beautifully written and so moving. Glad you are back even if it's just for a day or week. This eloquent gift of yours is always a jewel to read. That being said, I am so there at the Breslin inn with you guys in spirit! Also your depiction of dad brought me a smile and tears.

Anonymous said...

Lo,

I started to write the other day when I read this and was so overwhelmed. I am so happy that came back. And like all of the others completely understood your absence. I love you all the way to YaYa's star beautiful girl.

love ame