Friday, March 9, 2012

And a donor has been found!


I know I've written about Jodi ---Goddess of Midwives and Lord of my Ladybits---here before but I have yet to mention what's been going on with her as of late. While I'll likely update you with news about fundraisers, etc., for now I will just post a couple of articles which have been written in recent months regarding Jodi's need for a liver transplant after over 20 years of living with an autoimmune disease called primary biliary cirrhosis. With ten years of under-the-hood inspections under our belts (my belt; it would be weird if it were both of our belts)---and you can be sure that Jodi is the only mechanic I've ever seen---I learned at my last visit that she is taking the year off from work to build up her strength before the transplant (which will likely happen this spring) and to recuperate afterwards. I feel so much for Jodi and her family but the lot of them seems to be brimming with fortitude and humor and what more could a family need to endure such hardship? A liver donor perhaps? Well, now they've got that too!

The most recent article.

The original story which ran in January.

And here is a link to a Facebook page created by her family to keep all of us---Jodi's concerned public (you know I wanted to write pubic)---posted on her status. Obviously, this latest news means that things are looking way up.

Suffice it to say that Dan and I will not even entertain the thought of baby-making until she gets back to the midwifery bid-ness.

In other words, we're saving ourselves for Jodi.

P.S. Save the date! April 6th will be the first of three Full Moon Madness events at Margaritas Restaurant in Portsmouth, NH from which a percentage of the evening's bar and restaurant sales will go towards Jodi's Liver Team. (The other dates are May 3rd and June 4th.) Margaritas is not only home to the delicious Tomato Garlic Nacho but it's also the site at which Dan and Lola's courtship began. Perhaps you will be enticed by a historic tour of the restaurant, including a viewing of the juke box that a drunken Dan struck with his elbow in an attempt to change the song a la Fonzie. I was defenseless against his charms.

Come join the fun, peeps, because it's basically a party in the bar and we're cooking up a lot of hoo-hoo themed fun. A "Placentarita" has been discussed.

2 comments:

Colleen said...

And, bonus: A genuine, Lola-trained cocktail server - and witness to said courtship - will be slinging the Placentaritas at the Full Moon shindig! :)

Lola Mellowsky said...

Col---I love it! It'll be a fun night fo sho with you and Jenni on duty. You were indeed one of the first witnesses to our secret affair. Perhaps you can be the tour guide and show the group where Dan sat and drank buckets of margaritas out of a plastic lamb.