Monday, December 3, 2012

What kind of battery was that again?



We need to replace the battery in our garage door opener. Because the code for the garage keypad has never worked, the remote opener is our only means of access. Fortunately we don’t keep a car in there and it’s only a spot for storage---but still, we need to be able to get in there.

This morning, as Dan got ready for work and I sat trying to get an early writing start, he said he would pick said battery up at the store today.

I, unsure if perhaps I would want to get into the garage before his approximate 7pm return home, suggested he write the battery size down for me just in case I wanted to tend to the task myself before then.

Apparently, “before” is a complicated concept to digest because it seemed to confound Dan. Why, he wondered, would he write the size of the battery down on the off-chance that I make it to the store when he would definitely be making it to the store and purchasing said battery today.

I had not yet realized the extent of the communication impasse we had reached and didn’t look up from my work---nor elaborate on the concept of before---and suggested he write it down just in case.

But “just in case” was not enough to squelch the fire of incomprehension that roared inside Dan, who again questioned the necessity of his writing the battery size down.

“I might want to get in there, so can you just write it down in case I---”

“But I am telling you I am going to pick it up today, so why would you also pick it up?”

“CAN YOU JUST WRITE THE GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING SIZE OF THE BATTERY DOWN SO THAT I CAN GET IN THERE BEFORE YOU GET HOME IF I WANT?”

Seems an entirely appropriate response even now, hours later.

After he left for work, I found this on the counter:



It is in these moments that I love Dan the very most.

11 comments:

kidtaco said...

I love your shoes in this.

Allison said...

Dan is awesome!

Anonymous said...

Funniest guy on the planet!

xo
Jaydee

Talk2mrsh said...

Love it. As an "old married", I can totally see how this whole morning unfolded - LOL. Inquiring minds want to know if the battery has now been replaced... Love you both!

becky.breslin said...

LOLLLLLLLL....I love this!
And it is an entirely appropriate response!! hilarious

Sassy said...

Glad to see you BACK!!!
XO
Sassy-Snell

Matthew said...

a w e s o m e

Second Grade Teacher but not yours said...

I thought of you on Saturday morning while listening to Reading with Robin on 920 AM. Her guest was talking about the Book Doctors, a husband and wife author team who host something called Pitchapalooza around the country. They call it the American Idol of book publishing. People go to the event with a 2 minute Pitch about the book they want to write/and or publish. A team of judges (including the Book Doctors) pick the top few and introduce them to publishers. Many have been published as a result. It is suppose to be a fun event and pays off to the top "pitchers". We ALL want to see you published Laura. If you google The Book Doctors or Pitchapalooza you can find the info.

Lola Mellowsky said...

SGTBNM---Funny, those people came to the bookstore in my little town the last TWO years and I didn't go either time. (Just couldn't get myself there.) But I am so intrigued by the idea and am keeping an ear out for it for next year. Thanks for putting it back in my mind...and of course for the support! Fuh real.

Thanks all y'all for the support!

becky.breslin said...

Lo! You have to go to pitchapalooza this year!! Seriously!!

Lola Mellowsky said...

Keepin' an eye out!