Thursday, July 1, 2010

I will be out of the office...


This hasn't happened since 1986. (Missing from photo: Sister number three, Katie, who hates the beach anyway...but was certainly missed.)

Dan and I packed our lives into his VW Bug this morning and made our way to Chatham, MA (at the elbow of the Cape) to crash Bec and Jeff's family vacation per their invitation. We arrived at about 5:30 and reported promptly to the beach, walking up on my sisters Tara, Bec and Cherie who were still sitting in their beach chairs chatting, just one of two families left on the beach. We joined them right there for a glass of cold white wine and a platter of cheeses in the early evening sun. Seals swam by in front of us as we looked out at the long stretch of sand and ocean. It's strange to wake up in the morning in the normalcy of life and then find yourself in such divinity mere hours later. As I write this I am feeling a gentle ocean breeze through the open windows of this beautiful beach house where we're staying. A more perfect spot on the planet for me right now I could not imagine, as a break of this nature was so totally what the doctor ordered. (Our gratitude towards Bec and Jeff for providing such an escape cannot be overstated.)

The first one up in the morning will run out for coffees for the household and then we'll make our way back to the beach which is only a short walk away. Tomorrow's fare will include spinach dip hot from the oven, guacamole and chips, fresh fruit, margaritas and whatever else our hearts desire---all delivered to the beach. Yes, please. I plan to lie under an umbrella all day and make my way through the six editions of O Magazine that have been sitting on my bedside table since the start of the year.

While we will only be down here a few days, Dan is off through Tuesday so we are treating this time as a mini-vacation even though we'll spending the latter portion of the time at home. I stated my intentions to Dan very clearly: After I'm through with my Oprahs, I will then move onto and finish the three books I have been half-reading for the last month. There may be exercise but there will most certainly be sloth.

And there may be writing...but likely it won't be until we get back from the beach. I can't have it interfering with my napping.

I friggin' love that it's only Wednesday.

On the shoe front:

Thank you for responding! I appreciate the energy and advice you all offered up. Right now I'm leaning towards the "pay it forward" technique a la Rob, although Abe certainly had me thinking otherwise. Dan has provided the best rationalisation for my decision thus far: "You've already given them $40 in advertising."

I got a note from the website today saying the shoes were just shipped. What do you bet they get stolen from my doorstep while we're away?

6 comments:

Dad said...

I love seeing you guys enjoying each other. It warms my heart. (verklempt)

Anonymous said...

Just reading what Uncle Barry wrote makes ME verklempt! You are all exactly where you should be..together! I love it & it makes me so happy to see those beautiful smiles on your faces enjoying yourselves. It has been a long & hard year..we have to steal our sunshine whenever we can! Enjoy every minute. Hope to see you all soon.
All my love always,
Beth the Anonymous xoxo

Matthew said...

I just facebook chatted with your Dad and I'm verklempt. Is that Jewish for constipated?

-I went for the joke on this one, ok.-

Anonymous Cousin Amy said...

Okay, Okay of course I verklempt I am family. It runs in the blood. I will go with Matt on this one..... Okay bitches lets do this shit at 2nd so I can get in on the action!!!!! I love yous guys;)

katjak said...

Are you kidding? I would LOVE to be there!! That looks like sheer paradise and I would love to hang with my sissels!! Plus Savvy would love the ocean. I did try to make plans to come but just could not execute in time. Oh well, I am so glad you guys are having a wonderful time! We are there in spirit with you :o)

Lola Mellowsky said...

Dad- Cute.

Beth- Also cute.

Mattie- Have you no shame? :)

Amy- Yes, second beach. Yes. Now that GiG gets a poison break, let's make it happen. Of course, now Kath gets to work... It'll happen damn it!

Katie- I NEED to see Savvy at the ocean. I NEED to see those rolls wrapped in a little skirty bathing suit. Make it happen!