Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Weekend Update

This image is to coincide with our Weekend Update headline, plus it will make Lola smile as she will someday write a movie or Broadway show for these two ladies to star in (alongside Rosie O’Donnell).

Once again, I just wanted to update the Spew-Heads on the week that was. Lola will be back here soon, so don’t worry. She is really doing an incredible job at taking care of her Mom. She has such a grasp of all the medicine that is part of her Mom’s daily regime (and there are oodles of medicine) and is so on top of all the care her Mom needs that it’s clear that she could be a brilliant doctor or nurse. She is quite the caretaker.

I think it’s safe to say that when it comes to her Mom, we have drifted away from good days and bad days to good moments and bad moments. The truth is, no day with this cancer is all that good. It was a rough week with GiGi. Her pain continues and there is difficulty in trying to find the right solution to her pain. More drugs, new drugs, old drugs, combination of drugs – it’s a crap shoot trying to find the right mixture of prescriptions that relieves our friend of her pain. The hourly question to GiGi is “What’s your Level?” meaning level of pain on a scale of 1 to 10. We are not hearing any 0’s or 1’s. However, in true GiGi fashion, the question makes her laugh. Don’t you love Gigi’s laugh?

The problem with the pain meds is that it has an effect on her breathing, and Gigi is already short of breath (and that sometimes causes brief pangs of anxiety for Gigi which makes her breathing even more labored). It’s scary to watch especially when you know the strain her lungs are already in. To make their Mom more comfortable, Lola and her sister Becky have been taking overnight shifts with her Mom, sleeping on the floor by her side for those moments when GiGi wakes up at night and she is in pain, restless, scared or just awake. These are the moments that this cancer has created.

In the good moments department, GiGi seemed to be in good spirits over the weekend. She was holding court in her family room – talking, laughing and even eating a little. Her pain had somewhat subsided (about a level 4) and we all got to share in her smiles and laughs. The family gathered on Sunday for Barry’s birthday, and everyone seemed happy to be together – at least for those brief moments, and celebrate something.

And then came last night. Lola was going to take a quick jaunt home today to tie up a few things in NH before heading back to RI. So, as I was furiously cleaning the apartment before work today in anticipation (yes ladies, that’s what guys do) when my phone chirped with a new text message. It said, “Rough night. Not sure how today is going to go.” When I finally spoke to Lola, she said her Mom had a really bad night and was having trouble breathing. They felt an ER visit was imminent. To add another small dose of terror to this nightmare, GiGi did not remember talking to her nurse the day before. Through it all, GiGi’s mind has been razor sharp, so the thought of even the slightest bit of forgetfulness scared the crap out of everyone.

When I heard from Lola next, they had decided to take her Mom to the ER. When they started to move her to the car, GiGi became winded. The more short of breath she became, the more scared GiGi became which made breathing even more difficult. They decided an ambulance was needed. The call was made, the ambulance arrived and GiGi and Barry drove off to the hospital with Lola in tow in her own car. We think she will be admitted, but I haven’t heard back yet to confirm.

In fact, I haven’t heard anything yet. So, like you, all we can do is wait. In the bad moments department, this is right up there.

UPDATE: GiGi had fluid drained from her lungs and is feeling a little better. She is admitted for at least the night, so stay tuned. Lola said that they drained "like a forty of beer" from those lungs. Lola's keepin' it real for y'all.

UPDATE 2: Another rough night at the hospital. Lola stayed the night and made sure she was there to comfort her Mom when needed. Leaving her Mom's side when she was so afraid was not something Lola was prepared to do, so they pulled up a recliner, gave her some sheets and let her stay. The bad news was GiGi's roommate, who was preparing for a colonoscopy, was having major blow out throughout the night (what a lullaby). The plan is for GiGi to come home today. Barry was back at the hospital bright and early and Lola went home to rest. If all goes as planned, GiGi will be sleeping at home tonight, although she will likely still be in pain and short of breath. We'll keep you posted.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks again Dan - can't be easy.
I DO LOVE HER LAUGH!
You are all amazing. Love you guys.
-Mart

margaret said...

Thank you for the update, you do a great job of subbing for Lola. They save me from bugging Cherie whenever I see her, and with the baby I never want to make her more stressed than she must be. This is such an awful thing happening to such a wonderful family. My thoughts and prayers are with you all! I hope Gigi is able to come back home again soon, I am sure she would much rather be there.

Rob said...

There is nothing in the world like GiG's laugh-- it starts in her ankles and works its way up.

My biggest regret is that my kids never got to meet her.

Talk2mrsh said...

Thanks so much, Dan. Thinking of all of you often.

Matthew said...

Sending the LA LOVE!!!!

Big Chirl said...

Dan~ I'm so happy you keep everyone updated while Lola is in the trenches, and I do mean trenches people!! She reminds me of an army nurse in the throws of a brutal battle between my mom & cancer. Lola's patience yet ferocity is unparalleled!! I mean she just goes for it full-out and is a force to be reckoned with!! It really is amazing to see her in action when this sucky cancer shit has her in the throws of conflict and trechery.... She stays strong through it all and also isn't afraid to cry & let the sadness out as well. When the ambulance came yesterday, I found myself having to go inside and use the bathroom (yeah, so It's what preggo women do). I really didn't have the strength to watch my mamma put in the meat wagon. Yet Lo was right there with her armor of nobility and strength! I absolutely admire that about her and it will forever be etched in my mind, as I hope I may die before Lo does so she can take care of me!
I feel like I just had to spew all that about Laura cause as her sis I am so proud of her & truly look up to her as I ALWAYS have. This is one of the hardest things I think any family has to deal with because watching someone you love suffer just isn't fair or right! I myself cling to my spirituality with all that I have in me and Lola has seemed to find her inner Florence Nightengale. I never really thought of Lo as a nurse but watching her in action make me see it as clear as day.
Lo~ I LOVE you with all that is in me and I am grateful every single day that our mom has an angel in you to take of her daily. Not a moment goes bye that I don't thank my lucky stars that you are bye her side unconditionally.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping us updated Dan. Not a moment goes by without a thought of GiG and how she's doing. Her laugh, oh her laugh I think is the only thing getting me through this...I close my eyes & think of happier times and I hear that amazing laugh that just makes me smile.
It seems so unfair that this is happening to possibly the worlds greatest person & her family. I am thankful for every minute I have spent with her & will cherish my times with her always. Sending so much love it's crazy & prayers for everyone.
Love,
Beth the Anonymous xoxo

Kristin Rojas said...

Cher, that was so beautiful. I am at a loss. The feeling of helplessness is so frustrating to me. Even typing this doesn't feel much of a help. I guess I just want you guys to know that I am thinking about you constantly. No exaggeration. If thinking of you and loving you all were to help, we would all be sitting at the kitchen table at 471 Water Street swigging some joe and laughing about all the crazy times by now! My love for you all is enormous. Give Gigi a huge hug and kiss from me.(I hate how this comment seems upbeat. I am bawling my eyes out typing it. sucks.)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Cher. And I'm sure that your and the rest of the fam's support is critical to Lo's demonstrated strength. You are all there for eachother in different ways - serves you all as a whole.
Much love,
-Mart

Bitter Bartender said...

Thinking about you mellow and your family!
I'm sure you are making your mom smile through all the pain.