Tuesday, January 31, 2012

One more try...I didn't know how much I loved you.



Does anyone besides me remember that song? To my ear, it's the early 90s and middle school dances and peppermint-flavored tongue kisses (a term I don't enjoy but which is really quite fitting for the awkward oral jamming that went down). None of this, however, has anything to do with this blog entry so let's move on. (But, here's the link in case you need to go there with me. Silky, right? If I'm being honest, it may have lent itself to a little hand-on-butt action.) Onward...





Oh, 2012, you little bitch.

That’s where I stand 31 days into this hairy ass crack of a year. I came into it new year’s resolutions a blazing; clearing some muck, my soul’s only yen.

But it’s been a yeast infection of a January with the promise of gonorrhea’s imminent arrival. (STD metaphors---Class. Act.)

In other words---I’m GREAT how are you?

I’m sorry to be all Negative Nancy on you guys. (And I’m sorry to Machestaaa whose first name, Nancy, it may seem I’m besmirching here---no connection, I just like alliteration.) But I gotta keep it real, yo. I couldn’t explain my absence here without at least proffering some explanation, though what I’ve written thus far will really be the extent of the details. I’m sorry for being so cryptic but it’s the call to be made. You just gotta believe that 2012 is a cranky little douche and go with me on it. I can tell you I’m writing this in a curtains-drawn bedroom still PJed up---a sexy combo from the 2012 winter line consisting of Dan’s boxer shorts and a t-shirt; all this indicative of depression having settled in for a mid-winter stay.

I know I sound whiny---I KNOW---but, well, fuck...it’s been a buttfuck of a year so far.

Perhaps you’re thinking---But Lola, I thought you were taking medication to stave off this type of thing. And I am. But, you know, the meds don’t make me Samba around our living room or jump on the couch in uncontainable glee. (But the wine does!) From what I’ve observed, anti-depressants only ever bring me to a place of “even”---where I am sometimes capable of taking a walk or otherwise participating in my own stretch for mental health. And only sometimes. I’m just never really sure if the drugs are working, which makes me think they may not be.

I have had some interesting side effects though, most notable among them being an inability to urinate. Oh, how strange and distressing to down a pot of coffee only to realize that there is a brain to bladder communication gap. Another fun one was not being able to “finish” what I started in the boudoir, if you know what I’m saying. With the latest med though, I am side effect free. And also possibly benefit free.

Who knows? Maybe I would be crying into my bowl of cereal (okay, three bowls of cereal in a row) were I completely unmedicated. And nothing is helped by the fact that I’ve been waking up at 3:30 every night. Like, for the day---just up and at ‘em in the quiet darkness of those ungodly hours, reading or trying to count my inhalations in an effort to fall back to sleep. Sometimes I pray, ”Mom, please help me fall back to sleep tonight. Please help my brain rest,” to no avail.

I know I’ll bounce back. I’m fortunate that I even know this; not all with depression do and the hopelessness is sometimes the biggest mind fuck of all of it. But it’s snowing out (I’ve opened the blinds) and the gratitude I feel for such a simple beauty tells me I’m not as far down as I was. Also, I’m back---at least today---to the page. Writing, like exercise, is a key to my sanity so when the words aren’t flowing---when my brain and body are too exhausted to work in tandem long enough to at least empty The Spew---I fall deeper.

Maybe this entry will mark the start of my ascent. There are fits and starts though so I never know if I’m climbing until I’m further up the mountain. And of course the aforementioned gonorrhea that looks to be sweeping in could set me off course again. (I am not proud of this crass and nonsensical mixed metaphor.)

But for now, "even" seems attainable which is all I can ask for.

I know it’s neither uplifting nor perhaps particularly interesting to read about a person’s trudge through depression but it’s fuh real and it’s here and it’s why I’ve been gone. Now hopefully we can push on through this and get back to a little laughin'...or at least chattin'. That is, if the itchy redness abates.

7 comments:

Manchestah!! said...

Glad to see you back here... It is like exercise - once you stop it's hard to start back up again, but once you're there you might as well do it! We love you regardless of your state of mind... ; ) So keep doing your "exercise" and see if it helps pull you up and out! And if that doesn't work we have a few get togethers (with wine!) planned next month that will help! Xoxo.
Oh, and the "Negative Nancy" line... Hmm... it's a good thing you call me Manchestah! : )

Sassy said...

I agree that it has been a buttfuck of a year so far. Remember- we have LOTS of wine and Manchestah gives great massages!!

becky.breslin said...

I just love that it is my dear Windham gals here supporting Losey and loving the spew as much as I do! Lo...the analogies for the year thus far are spot on, so fuck the crassness of it!!! The girls are right and we do have some wine fests planned and more to be planned, so say the word and you are IN for them (not like you need an invite!). Love you! --your proud (and always concerned) older sister

Anonymous said...

WTF? Why can't I remember my stupid password????
Lola,
I just wanted to say that I love you and I would like to give 2012 the middle finger as well. Thanks for adding Debbie Downer in there. I feel like she's our long lost cousin..... xoxox
-ps Bec I love that you sound like Kristin in your comment. Big sisters are the best! love you both!!
Love Spamy
your cuz

GerryAnn Ashworth said...

I have been exactly where you are when it comes to depression and sleep disturbances. all I can tell you is that "It does get better!!! Just hang in there and don't isolate yourself! Get out and surround yourself with people who believe in you and love you!! Just believe that it will get better!! Most of all..Believe in yourself and be gentle with yourself!! Amy and Jen can tell ya a little bit of where I was just a few years ago and where I am today!! Kick depression's ass!! I know you can do it!!! xo <3

Anonymous said...

WTF. I am the one turning 40 this month...while I appreciate the fact that you are Debby Downer over it, I'll be fine...really. DON'T WORRY! There are plastic surgeons...it's all good, Momma. Get up, get dressed, let's go shopping! :) And BTW, one of the wine events the girls are referring to revolves solely around my initiation into the Frisky Forty Club. You had better be there or I will be really fucking pissed. You got me?

I love ya babe. Sorry it's been a shit-ass start, but we have 11 more months to show 2012 what cha got. And baby, you got it.

xoxo
Sistah from anothah

Anonymous said...

This year is off to a sucky (or suckie) start. Why does it seem as we get older, the harder life is to deal with. I long for the days of our dance shows & the Bad Brady's.
I laughed when I saw Debbie downer because Cathal sometimes teases me ( real nice) and calls me Bethy buzzkill when I get all "adulty" and no fun with the kids.
Always know we are here for you & love you more than words. I can't wait for a much needed love & healing fest w/ you & all the girls.
Love,
Beth the Anonymous