Thursday, June 21, 2012

Baby Steps to The Spew. Baby steps to The Spew.



Hi, guys.

Can we just start there?

I’ve missed you fuh real.

You know when you miss someone and you want to call them and you have so much to say but are just not sure when you will have the time/energy to have the phone (or e-mail) conversation you really want to have with them so you put it off, thinking you’ll wait until you have the time to really talk, but that time doesn’t come and now more and more has happened so the phone call feels even harder and, worse, you feel further away from your friend because so much has happened (for her too, you’re sure) and you don’t know how you’ll possibly jump into the initial conversation you wanted to have with her, let alone cover all the new ground, and it’s all feeling a little overwhelming because this friend is really important to you and it breaks your heart to think that she might be feeling otherwise.

You know how that sometimes happens?

Well, you guys---I’m a fuck. Sorry I haven’t called.

I’ve felt such unease about this and for so many reasons. First of all, I miss you. I miss us. We had this great thing, you and I.

C’mon, boo, look at me.

Ain’t nobody got eyes pretty as yours, baby.

(Cue Boys II Men).

(99% of my 1994 make-out sessions went down while this song was playing.)

I'm really not trying to change the subject.

I have so much I want to tell you

Except I can’t. Not in one breath.

This is all feeling very frightening all of a sudden.

I told myself that I would unpack it in parts. See, there’s this thing that happens when I’m having a hard time--my defenses go down and in walks anxiety like the bitch never stopped owning me. There have been moments---weeks, months even---when I was sure I had her beat, but she smells my weakness and shows up just in time to judge me for crumbling. And she always kicks me square in the writer. The more time and energy I’ve spent with a piece, the harder she kicks me. She shows up right at the end----right after I’ve gotten in all down, right in that moment where the tiniest bit of satisfaction could be---and chastises me for every word I’ve written. Try hitting “publish” after that. The bitch owns me, you see?

It’s not always like this (or this blog would never have been born), but it's definitely the story of now. So rather than trying to fight through it, I’m going to try to accept my limitations and work with it because I want to hang out with you guys. I’m thinking if I start small rather than trying to say it all at once, well then maybe I can get this written and posted and then be out of the room before anxiety shows up.

Be straight with me---do I sound a little unstable right now?

I do, right?

A smidge?

No, it’s cool. I am unstable.

But, c’mon, this is the shit that makes heroin addicts---I can live with unstable.

What I can’t live with---and what today’s baby step blog entry will be about---is that I pulled such a no-show here. Well, I can’t live with it anymore. I needed a minute and I know you got it, but at some point it became about me putting off that phone call and you were getting further away. But because you guys are wicked awesome, you started checking in and gently nudging me back here. One of you even wrote, “Not for me to say it’s time," which is a statement of such tenderness and compassion and respect---something you all have shown me so much of---that it made so clear to me that it was for you to say it was time and thank gawd you did. And then yesterday I read a wonderful piece written by friend Amy about how “your blog will change your life” and I realized how much it really has. Which is to say, how much all of you have changed my life. You have. Fuh real. (You still are.) Because you guys were there, I wrote my way through my parents’ deaths---it’s a gift you gave me. Your support and love kept me writing and now I have an account of this time. You are all a part of this story. You were in the hospital room with me as I sat at the foot of my mom’s hospital bed while she slept . You were there for the last cup of coffee I had with my dad.

These aren’t small moments and I’m so grateful for you for being there then and being here now. That’s why it was time for me to show up again. I don't know where I'm going or what the timeline will be----and I gotta get outta here before I start overthinking it---but I hope you guys will be there.

Baby steps to The Spew. Baby steps to the publish button.

Love all y’all.

15 comments:

Manchestaahh! said...

We like baby steps, its always the best place to start! We love you!!!! Glad to see you up here again, I did a little 'yippee' jump when I saw it! xoxoxox

Talk2mrsh said...

Checked every day. Never gave up. Even if it wasn't here, you are a writer.

becky.breslin said...

Losey! We are delighted for any steps at all...you do bring joy to all of us through your funny ass writing so we are delighted that your hiatus is over! You broke the seal so now the next one will be even easier! xoxo

jeavallone said...

I checked this morning as I do every morning, and no Laura. I checked this evening as I do every evening, and there she was. So very glad. Seeing you again has made my day so much sweeter.

Katjak7 said...

Lo, it's baby steps for me to read your entries that I've put off, afraid of opening up already gaping wounds. So you write with baby steps, and I'll read with the same. And you already have me laughing my ass off. Glad you're back in the saddle.

Anonymous said...

Second Grade Teacher But Not Yours said......
She's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Kept checking and seeing those bleeding hearts and saying, "she wasn't kidding", but then there you are. Baby steps are fine. Take your time. (Sure,... we won't say that again.) So glad you are back. And may I can put in a request. Maybe it is too far away but always wanted to hear about that writing camp you went to last summer. You did promise us an accounting of it, but I'll understand if you'd rather write about other things. (maybe you will go back there this summer...like returning to Summer Camp. ) I'm just glad you are back.

Anonymous said...

Hooray for you!

Lola Mellowsky said...

All of you---I am so fucking humbled by and grateful for all of your responses. I really didn't think anyone would still be checking in and it feels so wonderful to come home and have you guys still here. Thank you and thank you and thank you.

Manchestaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh---That is going to get annoying to you someday but I truly enjoy it. It reminds me of that hot gym teacher and that's always a pleasant thought! You're always first on the scene here and I friggin love it. And a "Yippee jump!"---that's just the best feedback eva!

Talk2---(I felt like I needed to honor your Spew name.) You got this whole Spew party started, lady. Thanks for never giving up on me...since I was 14 (and listening to that Boys II Men song at your house. :) Fuh real, thanks for checking every day.

JayDee---That song melted me. For those who aren't on FB, this is what she posted:

"Lola, you've got me on my knees.
Lola, I'm begging, darling please.
Lola, darling won't you ease my worried mind."

Thanks for worrying about me, JD. You've always been my girl. Hoping to be running again someday. (Although not in any physical capacity whatsoever.)

Benny---You're another who gives the best gentle nudges...thanks for doing it all along. ALL along. Every day and all along. :) You da best. And "broke the seal" cracked me up. You're right though...

Hey Moore!---Seeing YOU again has made MY day so much sweeter! It means everything to hear that you checked The Spew like that. Sorry it took me so dang long to get here and thanks for being here when I finally showed up.

Katjak---I love when you make a showing here but I so get needing to pace yourself. I sometimes think about what it would be like for me to read the story of this time as written by one of you (Katjak is one of my sisters for those reading along here) and I imagine it would be very, very hard. So, thanks for showing up and sending the love.

Second Grade Teacher But Not Mine--

1) Okay, it's really funny that you bring up the writing workshop thing because when I first wrote yesterday's entry, I had a line in there after mentioning my friend Amy's blog post that said, "(By the way, I met Amy at that writing workshop I went to last summer and never ended up telling you guys about because I’m a dick.)" I must have forgotten to put that line in the actual post! I've always felt like a jerk for that especially since it was such an incredible week. I will definitely try to go back to that! ("Definitely try"---is that the best I can do?) I really do want to tell you all about it though---somewhere I have a first draft of this (that I never posted because the bitch owns me).

2) Since this is our means of correspondence, I have to say this here rather than privately (not that it's so private). I've had this thing nagging at me since I saw you at my dad's wake. My experience of my parents' wakes are that they were lovely in so many ways but also weird and fast and slow and long. Even though it's just several hours, for some reason as soon as they were over, I remembered them as far away events. Like, oh was that person there? When did so and so come in?---that sort of thing. Anyway, from my dad's wake I remember this: You came through the line and I wanted to talk to you for longer than we were able. I can't remember why---was it the person behind you?---but we were rushed and the next flow of people started moving through and I saw you leave and I was bummed we didn't get to talk more. So, I had to acknowledge it here... I appreciated you being there and didn't get to give you the VIP Spew treatment that you deserved.

3) I'm glad you're back here too.

Lola Mellowsky said...

Thanks, Anonymous!

Anonymous said...

There's no better way to return to writing this blog than by crooning at us Boys II Men style. Who wouldn't swooon? Glad you're back girl.
-Corie the babysitah

becky.breslin said...

Jaydee's song made me well up for what it is worth...and I, too, have been asking for an account for "summer camp" since summer camp...wtf...I never even got the verbal version ...for the love of... good thing I love you...one day we will here what it was all about..I'm counting on it...no preshah, though!

Anonymous said...

I randomly checked the spew tonight (after not checking for a long time) and was so happy when I saw a post...and only an hour ago - fate! Thinking of you and your sisters lots. So glad you are back with your humor. Thanks for the smile!

Love, Mart

kate said...

Hey, Chester! Glad yer back! ( if that makes no sense consult Becky)

Baby steps are all we get sometimes... Just wanted to throw in my two cents that I'm proud of you! And also that since reading this post I can't stop singing, " I've been working my way back to spew babe". Really. It's stuck in my head. Good song.

You are loved and adored, my dear. Your fan club is always here for you.

xoxo
Kate

Matthew said...

It's like The Rosie Show just got renewed!!!

Lola Mellowsky said...

Corie the babysitta!---You know, there are moments when I wonder what the average age of our Spew posse is and if some of my teenager-in-the-90s references will fall flat. And there you were picking up what I was putting down with Boys II Men. Thanks, girl, for that and for being here. Now check this out: http://www.11points.com/Music/11_Best_Deep-Voiced_Boyz_II_Men_Monologues (The videos aren't there anymore, but you'll remember.)

Benny---Maybe I'll be able to get some summer camp posts up in time for the anniversary of the trip (which is in August). I'll try! (And I gave you some of the deets...the life-changin' bit and all that.)

Martball---So glad you checked in! You're always a welcome sight in these parts.

KateP---I may have to make a music video now---"Working my way back to Spew now" delighted me so much. Can we come up with some more theme songs, please? I'm hoping for more video content here going forward. You are loved and adored too, KP! Fuh real.

Mattie---CONFETTI!