Monday, July 16, 2012

Hostess Cupcake O'clock


Hostess Cupcakes were my mom's favorite treat...mine too when I was a kid (and again now). When I was young, I would walk up to Cumberland Farms and get each of us a package (two per person, the way it should be) and surprise her with them when I got back. Then we'd sit at the kitchen table or out on the deck and eat them together---a cup of coffee complementing hers, a glass of milk with mine. She was always so delighted by our little cupcake parties---our stealing a few minutes of the day for this little bit of fun.

And I was delighted by the chance to steal her.

As I spend time at the house now, working on my parents' gardens or writing, I always take a break for what I now call Hostess Cupcake O'clock---a time to just stop whatever I'm doing and sit down by the river and appreciate the beauty of the day or think of my parents. It's much more reverent than a moment of silence.

Today I'm taking it at my mom's spot at the kitchen table---another most sacred place.

9 comments:

Talk2mrsh said...

Sounds like a lovely tradition and I am glad you are continuing it. Nice to see a little Spew, a little you. (The birds are winning the blueberry battle, but there is at least one catbird who seems to have taken up residence nearby which makes me mind a little less.)

Anonymous said...

Love ;)

That view is so familiar....

Anonymous said...

...That was from Mart

Lola Mellowsky said...

VH---1) I think I picked up a little poison ivy this weekend as a direct result of our talking about it. 2) Yesterday, I was wandering a little too near an area in the yard where I've always felt the most poison ivy danger lurks (adjacent to an open lot next door) and there was a cat bird---must have been a foot behind me in a tree (Japanese Maple...the low kind)---squawking at me. Like screeching at me as if to warn me. I backed away slowly...

Mart---You'll have to come by the house next time you're in RI. I feel like everyone who has Water Street roots needs to say good bye. Plus, you're another one I need to consult on managing Gig's gardens.

Anonymous said...

Wow I love the bossy birdie. That is awesome. The appreciation Auntie had for those lovely cupcakes will never be forgotten. I always knew I would see her smile if I broke those puppies out on our Friday Scrabble nights with Kath. Sweet memories that I will always treasure. One of these days I would love to participate in Hostess Cup Cake O'Clock!!
Love ya
Spamy

Jen Vidotto said...

When I opened up the Spew and saw the picture I began to cry. Before even reading. Then the tears wouldn't stop.
The treasured Hostess Cupcakes.
I'm with Amy....any time we can meet up at Hostess Cupcake O'clock, I'd be there. But for now keep on enjoying that hour with the lovely lady yourself.
Love yah

katjak said...

Loved this so much Lola. That picture made me well up too.

Sandy said...

I can see Gig sitting at her table with her big beautiful smile. Thank you for sharing the picture and your heartfelt thoughts and memories!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hey Lola,
Just reading your comment now...I've been slacking on my spew monitoring ;) Work is taking all my time right now, but I am excited for a short break and escape up to RI soon! I'll be up there Aug 15 - 20. Will you be around? I'll def pay Ports a visit one way or the other. And would love to spend some time with the Mellow Estate and Clan.
xoxo
Mart