Monday, July 30, 2012

I've been drinking!


Dear guys,

That’s how I just started this post---as a letter. Like I’m writing to my family from prison.

I’m not in prison, though I do watch MSNBC’s Lockup to help me get to sleep. (Dan has suggested that this is unwise but I think he’s just mad because I ripped a hole in our mattress so I’d have somewhere to store my toothbrush/shank.)

I’ve been gone because...

I’m just sad---that’s the title of the memoir at this point.

I’m just still fucking sad. (And there’s book number two.)

I’m sad and pissed and just all sorts of unpleasant right now. (A self-help trilogy?)

It boils down to this: I miss my mom and dad and I wish they hadn’t died and I’d like things to just go back to how they were when I was stalking my next-door neighbor and all was right with the world. (The fact that writing those words makes me feel like a 10-year-old kid does not help.)

I’m assuming at this point that you understand my longish absences to mean I’m struggling/hiding. Maybe I should change the entry titles while I’m gone to keep you posted on the state of things---a sort of Spew weather channel.

Monday: Hot Mess.
Tuesday: Miserable Fuck.
Wednesday: Trying to not worry and be happy.
Thursday: Bobby McFerrin is a douche.
Friday: Inexplicably horny.
Saturday: Aha---ovulating. God’s a dick for making everything harder for chicks and inventing centipedes. Also, giving both parents cancer and nabbing them? Not cool, Dude.
Sunday: (Intentionally left blank.) (Despondent.)

The last few weeks were actually more the stuff of anguish, mania, and a kind of pathetic bewilderment that took the following form:

I painted the wood paneling in my dad’s office white.

I watched the entire first season of Showtime’s Episodes. (And also what’s aired of the second season. Solid show.)

The form it did not take: writing.

That’s not true, actually. I was writing. I just stopped writing. It’s more cause of the crazy than effect.

See, I wrote my way into a sad patch---I often can’t see where I’m going---and then I ran. I painted. I Episode-ed. I ran and ran.

I tried to write an e-mail to a friend and the sad patch showed up there too! The computer ratted me out! So I ran again.

The sad patch wants to be written and I don’t want to write it. I don’t want to feel it.

So I’m putting on a third coat of paint in the office.

I’m thinking of getting into Web Therapy.

Also, I’ve made a new friend. Her name is white wine and she’s the shit! She’ll hang out any time of day---screw 5pm! She’s pretty much orange juice’s prettier, more sophisticated cousin.

Sometimes though...sometimes...right now...white wine brings along sad patch and I’m like, “What the fuck, white wine? I thought you were cool!”

And she’s all, “Really? I’m pretty sure you learned in 10th grade about my depressant properties.”

And I’m all, “Did you really just say ‘depressant properties’? Cool it with the three-syllable words, Miss Smarty McSmartSmart.”

And she’s all, “You’re going to have to look at sad patch sometime. You might as well---”

And with that, I have to run.

I know I sound like a fucking lunatic. I know.

But it’s coming on fast and I’m feeling too sad to breathe so I have to go.

More to come.

Love,
Lola

6 comments:

Unknown said...

You are so courageous to even peek your head out for a moment and put words to this unimaginable pain. Your most important job is to take good, gentle care of yourself. It will never be OK, but I hope it will knock you down less and less with time.

White Wine is also a very good friend of mine - we can group date anytime you'd like. (I'll try to keep that bitch in line.)

Hugs - Colleen

GerryAnn said...

Do whatever you need to Lola, feel/not feel,write/not write, run/or just be present in the moment. Just be you and do what you need to do to get through this! I thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings, I don't like to think about the day that I will eventually lose my Mom but when I do I will be reading and re-reading your writings to help me to get through!! Thank You for sharing your gift!!! Peace and Blessings to you Lola!!! <3

Sassy said...

You are brave, Lola. I think the world of you. This too shall pass my friend. Till then I hope your girlfriend Chardonnay can get you through a few rough patches. If you can't find her she may be visiting my place though. Feel free to stop by and pick her up! XOXOX

ALLISON said...

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”
― Albert Einstein

Love you Laura XOXO

Manchestaahh said...

ok, so I've neglected you and just saw this post... nomally I try to be more timely, but the kids have been with me since June 15th, and am now working on a kitchen renovation, and working, so... I know, I'm making excuses, there's no excuse, especially when I just recently received my Spew Shirt from JaDee (sp??!) not long ago and now am a true Spew head!
So anyways, wine is good, although sometimes brings you right to where you're headed... happy or sad... writing is good, although also brings you to where you're headed, happy or sad... life is good although sometmes brings you to... ok, so you see where I'm going here...
So Just Breathe... and it will come, and know we will be here when it, and you, do. (does? where are the grammer police when I need them, Bec?!) : )
love you! xoxo

Anonymous said...

I love you. I miss you. I think about you every day Lola & hope you're doing ok.
xoxoxox
Beth the anonymous