Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Little Drummer Boy was cheap.


Dan got this ornament in early December of 2006 knowing that he was going to propose and that it would be a Christmas we'd want to remember. Sometimes I want to eat it.

Okay, holiday weeds---blah, blah, blah. I'm at the point where there is so much to do that I can't do anything; not even compose a decent blog entry. So, since it's been a while, some

Random Chunks of Spew:

Not to ruin the song, but "Baby, It's Cold Outside" sounds a lot like date rape put to music. "The answer is no...Say, what's in this drink?..."

Christmas movies watched thus far include A Christmas Story, Love Actually, Elf, Home Alone and White Christmas. On the feel-good scale, this run of holiday classics far surpasses the line-up of documentaries Dan and I recently viewed: Sicko, Crazy Sexy Cancer, Al Franken: God Spoke, Tyson, and Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired. Of the two, Tyson was by far my favorite rapist.

(Did I really just make two rape jokes in one entry? Tasteless.)

We're holding out on Food, Inc. and Grey Gardens until after Christmas. I'm hoping Food, Inc. will disgust and horrify me into a healthy 2010. (I'm hoping Grey Gardens, which deals with hoarding among other themes, will get me to clean out my closet.)

As an experiment and a little side business, Dan started packaging and selling his peanut butter balls this season. Since Thanksgiving there have been fresh peanut butter balls on my kitchen table every day. In related news, screw Dan.

Concealing the secret of Santa stresses me out. I look forward to Molly no loner believing because I'm just not up to the task of not robbing her of the joy and innocence of childhood.

Since when does RI get more snow than NH? What's next, Portsmouth gets a school day and Foster-Glocester doesn't?

(Does Foster-Glocester really exist?)

(RI humor offers the inniest of inside jokes.)

Dan got a Christmas bonus and I told him he should put it right in our savings account so we don't go blowing it on gifts for other people---'cuz that's the Christmas spirit.

After our landlord's henchmen woke me up at 3am last week while shoveling our walkway, I asked Dan if he thought they would take something off our rent if we did the shoveling ourselves. A week later (and after nearly three years of living here) she called us with this exact proposal. I told Dan it was the "Law of Attraction" but he's convinced the place is bugged and keeps turning up the music to talk like this is The Firm.

(Is The Firm too old a movie to reference?)

(I think I may have just had my first official experience with "dating myself.")

I'm trying to decide if I should procrastinate exercising by doing Christmas cards or procrastinate doing my cards with exercise.

I've decided to procrastinate doing both with this blog.

I think I'll pour a glass of red wine now...could make for interesting Christmas cards.

And also pairs nicely with these.

7 comments:

Talk2mrsh said...

I am procrastinating by responding to your blog. Portsmouth got out on the 18th and today was supposed to find me with all the big stuff completed and only baking left to do. This has not happened (and why did I think that it would?). I still have cards to do, although like every other year, they were purchased in plenty of time to have ours be one of the first to arrive, making all my friends curse me for my Martha Stewart promptness.

katjak said...

You crack me up Lo.

Lola Mellowsky said...

VH---If I've helped just one person to procrastinate then I can go to sleep at night knowing I've done something with my life...good luck with the last-minute push! (Btw, you are TOTALLY Martha Stewartesque.)

Katjak---Glad to hear it. I imagine you were breastfeeding and typing with one hand so a comment like that really means something. Still time to book your last-minute plane tickets...come home, would ya? Bring the walrus!

Margaret said...

Loved Grey Gardens, Drew Barrymore did a great job. I never really thought about Love Actually being a Christmas movie, but I guess you are right, Nick agrees with you. Do you ship those peanut butter balls?

Matthew said...

I need those balls in my mouth.

becky.breslin said...

never too long ago to reference the firm...it was a modern day "classic.." so go on referencing that movie even if Tom cruise is starting to annoy the shit out of me...

I, too, am procrastinating by reading this blog, but it is one of my favorite guilty pleasures and, as such, I will continue to do it every chance I get..!

on the pb ball front...i don't know how you do it...I would eat them every day, all day... poor you!

Lola Mellowsky said...

Margaret--The one we watched was the original "Grey Gardens" from the seventies. It was what the musical was based on...and then the movie with Drew Barrymore. It's a documentary so you are getting the real look at these women. Not the feel-good movie of the year, but interesting.

I love that you asked if we ship the pb balls and they were on the way to you!

Mattie---Fingers and balls, is that all you ever think of? Get your head out of the gutter...and by gutter I mean my lady-parts.

Benny---Thank you for permission to reference "The Firm." A fine movie and also a fine book. Tom Cruise...still fine, just nuts.

Also, don't think of the Spew as a guilty pleasure---it is enrichment and also family time!