Wednesday, August 25, 2010

It's 8:37 and I'm calling it a night!


This doesn't even look good but I'm stumped for a header pic so there it is...I'm tired!

So, how's this, when I can, I'll try to make a real effort to do some serial blogging to make up for my sometimes extended absences? Maybe even twice a day (though I couldn't keep that promise to Dan, either).

This'll be a quickie (insert extension of sex joke here) but because I'm in such a good mood I wanted to get something down (and another here).

First of all, I love that it was a rainy day. I'm not only happy when it rains, but I am pretty much always happy when it rains. (Sort of like how all poodles are dogs but not all dogs are poodles. Does that analogy really fit here? I just try to work that the little token of logic in wherever I can because it blew my eighth grade brain when I heard it.) Rainy days are like forced meditation. They come with a certain calm amid the chaos that I dig and I don't have to chastise myself for not being outside on a beautiful day when I'm pretty much over the sun at this point anyway. I'm totally okay with the fall preview that has been these past few days, though mildly concerned that it will get to 85 degrees overnight. (I don't have any dog analogy for that but it's just plain effed.) As I write I'm watching the wind toss the dark silhouettes of trees around against a barely lit night sky and loving the drama of it. The tree outside my window (my tree outside my window where I write first thing in the morning in the winter months when the floor heater is on underneath my feet) has its late-August scatter of orange leaves, changing before the rest as it does and letting me know that fall is up ahead; nature's flash of high beams. Bring it, I say.

I cooked dinner tonight for the first time in forever. Something about the coolness and a darker sky makes me more eager to head to the kitchen and a hot oven. Nothing crazy, this dinner: GiG's meatloaf (2lbs ground beef, one cup grated Parmesan, one cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs, two eggs, a grated onion and a few fresh shavings of carrot on top to keep the meat moist cooked for about an hour at 425 degrees) that I made with grass-fed beef (and shallots versus a white or yellow onion), broccoli and some local corn. I was going to ask Dan to get a bottle of wine on the way home but my body is still pretty screwed up from yesterday and doesn't need further tampering.

During dinner I said that I wanted to take a bath afterwards (to prepare for an early to bed kind of night) but the fact that the tub is clogged---you know that gnarly residue that circles the tub when the water remains ankle high for the duration of your shower---dissuaded me. Dan, hero that he is, is in there now looking for Nessie and trying to clear things out.

A few minutes ago, he shouted out to me, "I got something! It's just a small one though, I think have to throw it back."



This looks way bigger than it did it real life...like, WAY bigger. Must be something about the angle...

I know it looks disgusting and I'm sorry that I feel so compelled to share it with you. It's a public service I'm providing, really; when was the last time you snaked your drain (insert blah, blah, blah)?

Dan thinks the Tub Monster was just a fluke (ha!), never to be witnessed again.

"I was just a kid then...I got lucky," he said.

I'm getting pretty skeeved out about the state of things in there so let's hope he gets lucky again soon.

(And scene.)

(Driving tomorrow: To chemo (Fri) and beyond! This is my way of telling you I may not be calling these next few days but I'll do the best I can. It's not you, it's me.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna say this as only a best friend could...that is NOT a fur ball. How many times must I tell you to get out of that place?!
BFYNM