Sunday, February 27, 2011

Fuh real?




So, remember how this blog used to be (sometimes) funny (or at least aiming for that) and then last year we found out my mom had cancer and then all of sudden this turned into an account of her illness and then she died and I couldn't do this anymore and when I did finally come back I was inconsistent with posting and told you that I really didn't know the direction that this blog was going to go because I really didn't know what direction life was heading in?

Well, I certainly didn't expect to be doing any U-turns.

A new situation has arisen and the storyline rivals the most contrived of Lifetime movies.

Ten days ago, out of nowhere, my dad had a seizure.

Then an MRI showed that he had a tumor the size of a cell phone in his brain.

Then he had brain surgery.

Then he had complications from brain surgery which left him unable to speak.

Now he is at a rehab hospital in Boston hoping to reacquire verbal and language skills that will take two weeks to a year (from what I've heard from thee of the vague timeline) to return completely.

We're still waiting on the pathology report to get the story on the tumor though either chemotherapy or radiation will be the likely course of action.

All this in 10 days.

Less than four months after losing my mom.

To quote one of my sisters, "We've been leveled."

It's a situation that has not yet totally sunken in, so organizing my thoughts into neat paragraphs is not even an option. I just figured I would throw an update up to explain what may or may not be a Spew disappearance. The possibility exists that as things settle and we know what we are dealing with, keeping things up here will be manageable. But the idea of documenting another parent's illness (in addition to witnessing it...again) seems too daunting a task right now for this tired, broken body.

I'm not trying to dangle any carrots here, I just don't know what will be. Earth has gone and flipped on its axis (again) in the last 10 days so there's no knowing what the next 10 (the next five...) will bring.

This is the shit drug habits are born from, that's all I'm saying. So, whether I can keep up with this blog is an unknown.

For now I'll say that in ER/House terms my dad seems "stable." He is there mentally and can understand all that is happening but is working to learn how to "turn on his voice," and also express spontaneous thought according to the docs and speech therapists we've seen. That's the post-surgery story. We're still in the dark about the brain tumor. Brain tumor...fuck.

The Oscars are on tonight. Without Meryl Streep in the race, my heart is only half in it. (Also, the whole tumor thing.) Still, I'll tune in. It could provide a little distraction or even a shred of comfort. How could I possibly feel any connection right now to an orgy of back-patting Hollywood elite? Pretty easily. Sandra Bullock had a shit year, too.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Waiting & wondering if you would post....been checking (ok, stalking) the Spew daily. The are no words to express how all of us feel for you & your sisters (let alone your Dad) for what has obviously been the nightmare of all nightmares. I, for one, plan to continue to stalk you here & on FB for every shred of Lola humor I can possibly roll around in. It is your humor that got all of us thru Gigi's ordeal. (Is that the right word to use? I'm sure there's some 65 point word created during one of her noe infamous Scrabble games that would better describe it, but I am at a loss.)
So, put your head down on your pillow tonight knowing that we (I speak for all of us) want to help. And if by simply reading your thoughts and providing words of encouragement are all we can provide....then bring it, sister. But if the Spew is too much to handle right now, we'll all be here when you are ready (again). (And I'll be forced to sit on your doorstep until you let me in to hug you.) Writing is what you were born to do (besides meet me)...but, your family comes first.

Lots of love to you, the sisters & Big Daddy.
BFYFM xo

Anonymous said...

Well said BFYFM! Love, Enouragement, Hope all coming your way. Hang in there.
Love,
Mart

jeavallone said...

Laura, I am in awe of your strength. Please know that my arms are wrapped so tightly around you as that is the only support I can offer you from here.

Anonymous said...

FUH REAL and LEVELED is right Laura! I am beyond words at this point to express how sick I am that you girls are back here again. You know I am suppose to be a good Catholic but DAMN God how much can a family take? And what is the stupid ass lesson???? Me and the big man are on break right now. I know that you all have such a outstanding support system. Please reach out anytime Laura. Even if you just want to swear at someone. I am here and I know all of the potty words in case you forget any. I love you cuz!!!! No pressure on your spew just take care of you!!!!!!
xoxox Ame

Lor said...

Love you sis.

---Your Lor

Rob said...

As I wrote to you in an e-mail, I'm craving any news at all on Barry's progress-- he, after all, is the man who trusted me with his wife and daughters.

I recall back in '84 or '85, he bought a red-hulled sailboat, and GiG drove us around the shore to a point across the river where the former owner dropped the boat from his trailer right at the shoreline. We rigged the boat and off we sailed happily until Barry said, Um, hey, Rob?" He pointed to the boat's drain hole, which had no plug. We were taking on water, and fast.

I think it was he, though it might have been I, who used bubblegum as an emergency plug. We thought ourselves quite clever.

Nere's wishing him the best and hoping you have the strength to keep us sort of up to date.

Nancy said...

Thinking of you all, sending positive energy your way. Hang on tight!
Nance

Anonymous said...

I always love to read your spew but understand this time is about you & your family. I have been shaking my head for days trying to think of the right thing to say...something I haven't already said but the truth is I'm at a loss for words. Seems like we haven't woken from the last nightmare so to process this is unreal. I want to say my prayers are still with you but I feel so disppointent right now about God & his plan for your family. I don't get it..so maybe if I leave him out of it, things will be better at this time. But know that I'm thinking of ALL of you and hoping for strength, peace and a lot of love.
I laughed when you said this is the stuff that drug habits are born from..so true. Although, I decided a while ago I'm going to be a full on wino! My new fav is sangri...i try to justify the occurrence by saying it's just a step up from a Carpisun. Right?
I love you & we are all here for you...write or don't write, we are here. xoxo
beth the anonymous

Liz Schlegel said...

From the Schlegel sisters to the Mellow sisters - we love you all, and we're holding you (individually and collectively) in our (individual and collective) heart.

Anonymous said...

Dear Lola:

I am praying for you and your family and especially your Dad. And as someone said there are no words....
Much love to you,
Clare Schlegel

amy mcdonnell said...

oh sorry to hear about your dad esp after losing your mom so soon. life takes some surprising twists at times hope it goes well for you that you can still enjoy him while has some faculties.

maryC said...

Laura, and all of you beautiful Mellow girls - your strength is astounding - you're in our thoughts and prayers -- as well as your dad - Have faith that he'll get better ... Connie and Mary

Allison said...

Love you Lor, thinking about you and the family all the time! This whole situation is bullsh*t!

Sassy said...

It is okay to check out for a while. We'll all till be here waiting & praying. :) XXOXOXXO Sending you all lots of love.