Sunday, August 28, 2011

I beat the crotch!


Though, in the end, I suppose the crotch was also a victor.

Evangeline Lynne is here. Katie and bro-in-law Gary waited a bit to settle on a name (though Dan spread a pretty far-reaching Facebook rumor that her name was Eunice Gertrude and that she was close to fourteen pounds at birth...she was eight pounds three ounces) but the kid came home a titled person. Despite my flight out of Boston being delayed an hour, and having only twenty minutes to sprint through the Atlanta airport to catch my connecting flight to Dayton, and a cab driver who didn’t seem to understand the significance of ten centimeters dilated and pushing, I made it to the hospital in time for the birth. Though Katie and Gary seemed shocked by this, given the fact that Katie had been in labor for four day and at the hospital since the night before, I was certain the universe was working to get me there in time. Between my telepathic directives to my unborn niece to wait me out and having a sense that Gigi was pulling all the strings, I just knew it was going to play out exactly as it did and, indeed, I was in the hospital room the moment little Eva Lynne inhabited a body and came to earth. Four days of labor is not a pretty tale no matter the ending, but Katie and Eva are healthy and well as is the rest of their crew. A family has grown in size and happiness.

Today I held my little bundled niece and wondered aloud, “Who are you going to be?” and it’s such a point of curiosity for me. Of course she already is, in many ways, who she is going to be---but who is that? Who just entered our lives to change and shape our world in her unique way? And what way will that be?

I’ve been a witness to two births and one death in the last ten months; the richest of years in sorrow and joy. Holding a newborn---a new person in the room where there wasn’t one before---feels like the closest proximity, the closest connection to that which we don’t know. That other world. But I have to say, I felt the same way about my mom dying at times. Like I was just as near to that which is---in a different way (or is it the same?)--- miraculous. The last night my mom spent at the hospital, about ten days before she died, laying in her bed in and out of sleep, she told me that she felt the presence of others in the room. She laughed even, saying I probably thought she sounded crazy but she felt them touching her fingers playfully. When I asked her if they scared her, she said no.

“They’re guiding me,” she said.

When I speak of a year rich with sorrow and joy, I’m not sure which category this story falls under. I feel as grateful to play with the little matchstick fingers of my new niece as I am to have seen my mom laughing about the unseen playing with her hands. Grateful to have been able to go that far with her.

It’s moments like these that I am remembering now. Those which were too painful to recount for some months. All I want now is to remember, so I’m going back even as things move along.

Katie and Gary are sleepless---balancing the needs of a two-year-old and a three-day-old with their own food, rest and showering requirements. I am equal parts envious and relieved that this is not my life. When the babies cry at the same time, that ratio shifts. I feed Savvy pad thai, empty the dishwasher and reheat Katie’s cup of coffee when I can, trying to make myself useful.

I’ll leave here Wednesday and have a handful of days to unpack, sleep with my husband (get your heads outta the gutta...or don't), and put a few things in order before heading to my sister Bec’s to stay and watch Molly for a stretch while she and Jeff are in Hawaii.

I feel like I’m heading from family member to family member right now---painting walls, reading books to nuggets, holding babies. I’m not patting myself on the back here; none of this is up to me.

I’m touching miracles again (my island retreat, the lips of a newborn) for one reason:

She’s guiding me.


Swaddling a miracle. (Mother and child photos are pending final approval so an auntie and child photo will have to do.)


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! And, oh, how I want to nuzzle that little neck of Eva's! She's just delicious!

So happy for you, Lo, that you have the opportunity to be there for all of your family members (really, whether they want you or not it seems). :) And I am so looking forward to crashing the "MolLo" party next week!

Keep the photos coming! I have the same agreement with my sisters - there will be no photos posted anywhere of me without approval.
Congrats, again to all of Mellow Aunties and of course Katie, Gary & Savvy!
xoxo
BFYFM

becky.breslin said...

Losey....you are doing mom's work this month, for sure...helping Chirl move into her new home, helping Katie and Gar with Eva's birth, and coming to stay with Moll while we are in Hawaii! These are all things that mom would have given her left arm to do in her final days and, for that matter, in life! All she ever wanted to do was have grandkids. She used to say she would even take them out of wedlock...just give her grandkids! I was thinking about it yesterday how she was able to love and nuzzle up Molly, Ben, and Savvy but what a robbery for Katie and Chirl that Wavy and Eva didn't get that. As aunties, it is our job to pass along all of mom's fabulousness and love these kids up...albeit in an auntie way versus a grandma way, but they will be rich with love from all of us. I know I speak for everyone when I say how grateful we are for all of your help and auntie love.

Love you! Love that you made it out to Ohio before Eva came into this world!

PS: I am still dying to hear all about summer camp. I know that was a life altering week and I'm so anxious to hear the details of it.
xoxo
Bec

Talk2mrsh said...

Beautiful baby. Beautiful you. Beautiful woman who gave you both your beauty. And a beautiful spouse who supports you with such deep love, such a generous spirit, and a fantastic sense of humor.

I can hear a difference in your writing, a difference in you, since your summer camp. Can't wait to hear details.

Love you.

flaterfam said...

You are an amazing sister, auntie and woman. Your nieces & nephew are SO lucky to have you. Lots of love.

Judy

Lola Mellowsky said...

Thanks y'all. I'm not really doing any of the heavy lifting around these parts but I appreciate the support, as always, for the fam and me. You rule.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!! Another baby girl in the Mellow mix. Congrats. Katie ,Gary and Mellow family!
Thanks for posting Lola - you're doing amazing stuff!
-Mart

jeavallone said...

Laura, looking at the picture of you and little Eva, I see the Gigi I once knew so many years ago. You are truly your mother's daughter, inside and out.

Jen V said...

Oh Lola,
This is so beautiful on so many levels!
Without a doubt you are doing the work of Gigi!!
Yes,you are right about how similar the feelings are having witnessed a birth and death. Crazy when you think of it that way but they both can be such beautiful things. I wanted to say to you the day she died what a gift that she had you in the room with her. She knew you were there. Again, the gift of the most sincere respect and dignity that you and your sisters gave her in the moments before she left the house. That probably made her heart swell more than it ever could have. Taking care of the "patient" the whole way through.
The interesting thing I felt too, was that you are thinking just like a nurse(yet again).
Eva is beautiful. Yes, Eva, what are your plans in this world? I don't know. She did spend a whole lot of time with her Yaya. Lets pay attention to see if she ends up like her.
Lola, one day at a time.
Beautiful. Just beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

That child is plain ole gorgeous!!! Awesome... I think of all of you Mellows often. Love to you all.

Amy Lynch said...

I am laughing about Katie not making an approval on the photos just yet. Laura, that is what all of us Cicilline girls have been saying. Gig is placing you there for all of your sisters. And she without a doubt is so proud that you are there. xoxo

ame

ellieb said...

What a great story you get to tell...and what great "work" you are blessed to do :) I absolutely love the story about Gigi and her feeling "their" presence... I cherish the memories I have of her telling her stories about the window washer amongst many other ghost stories. She was truly connected to the "other side" and it gives me comfort knowing she really is doing her work from where she is now. Big love xo