Sunday, August 7, 2011

Lola Heads to Summer Camp

Well, Lola made it. She left the docks of Portsmouth, NH yesterday aboard the good ship Thomas Leighton en route to historic Star Island where she will be participating in a week long Write By The Sea workshop alongside writer Joyce Maynard. Among Lola’s parting words to me as we said our goodbyes was permission to guest blog for her so I could share with her online friends the adventures of Lola’s summer camp.

Star Island, just to give you some history, is the second largest island in a small group of islands of the coast of Maine and New Hampshire called the Isles of Shoals. It’s about ten miles from shore and extremely isolated. While I didn’t want to tell Lola the story, the Isles of Shoals are probably most noted for the notorious unsolved murders of two women in 1873 (the tale is told by Anita Shreve in The Weight of Water). However, the murders took place on nearby Smuttynose Island. Lola is on Star Island.

Star Island is privately owned and used as a conference center and retreat. It has close ties to Unitarian Universalism and the United Church of Christ (although Lola’s seminar has no religious affiliation). It has a large house and a few other structures (to call any of them a hotel would be a disservice to the hotel world). But it’s a shelter which undoubtedly has its charms in that rustic seafaring way. I have been there once, for a weird office outing event where, to be honest, while it was beautiful, I found it a bit strange (but perhaps that was because it was an office outing and there was no beer).

Friday was packing day for Lola where she was met with her first obstacle: only one carry-on and one bag not weighing more than forty pounds were allowed. I’m not sure if they think too much luggage would sink the ship, but these were the rules (which we later found out was ignored by everyone else on the dock). Now it’s a well known fact that any daughter of GiGi has slight issues with over-packing, and Lola is no exception. But, in Lola’s defense, packing for a week long trip on an island in the summer is hard (hot during the day, cold at night, rain). Needless to say Lola’s luggage was filled with everything from swimwear to gloves. And then there was the “other” stuff to pack: Toiletries, sun screen, bug spray, make-up and the whole cast of regulars. Then, because Lola had a small cut on her finger, my little GiGi packed a box of 50 Band-Aids. She packed a box of 50 tampons which she knew was too much, but brought extra because, “what if another lady needed one?” Food was the next important issue, because even though they provide you with meals, anyone who has ever taken care of a Mellow woman knows you need to keep them fed. So, Lola packed her backpack with nuts, Lara Bars, mango slices, gum, apples and more. Then there were her books and journals and writing materials. In the end, her luggage probably weighed 50 pounds and her backpack carry-on probably weighed 60.

Lola’s plan was to finish packing on Friday so Saturday morning would be relaxing. As they say, sometimes the best laid plans of mice and men often go astray and Saturday morning, while not totally weeded, Lola was still hurrying about with last minute things to do. The hardest thing to do was closing the suitcase which was akin to me putting on Lola’s skinny jeans. But with some team work and sacrificing a few items that we agreed could be kept at home, we got all the bags sealed and ready. We had to be at the dock by 1:00 and much to her credit, we left our apartment at about 11:00 and even stopped for lunch. When we arrived at the dock, we checked in and then they told us that the boat left at 2:00 and we could come back. So we did what everyone else would do, we had a second lunch.

When we arrived back at the dock, a crowd was beginning to amass. The ferry had just gotten back, so while Lola’s group was getting ready to board, the people on the boat were about to get off. I saw this as an immediate traffic threat, so I made the decision that it was time for me to leave. I made sure Lola had everything she needed, I gave her a big hug and kiss and then watched her saunter off into the awaiting crowd. She walked a little slow (she did have a 60 pound backpack on her back), but I could tell she was taking a deep breath as she was about to step into her new adventure. It was sad, but also exciting. I couldn’t be more proud of her.

I left, triumphantly beating the traffic, but decided I wanted to watch my Lola sail away, so I found a parking spot on a nearby street, and then walked back. Now I was amongst the travelers heading to Star Island, although I couldn’t find Lola. Turns out, there are also two other conferences on the island this week: one on Celtic Christian Spirituality and the other a Youth Conference on Changes. That explained the large group of hyper-active teenagers waiting on the dock and also the many guitars packed on travelers backs. Lola had found someone from her workshop as the writers in the crowd were no doubt gravitating towards each other (and away form the crazy Christians). I couldn’t hear what they were talking about, but no doubt that fun, small talk chatter that you have on the first day of camp (“I’m Lola, I’m from New Hampshire, I’m 30, I like Bukkake.”

They started boarding and soon Lola was in line, smiling alongside her new friends. She found a seat on the front of the boat on the bottom deck (finding the spot that would be least harrowing for someone with motion sickness was key, so I hope she found the right spot). She was sitting alongside her fellow writers, all eager to see where the week ahead would bring them. My last sight of Lola was her small little hand waving as the Thomas Leighton set out to sea.

So she’s off. She arrived safely. She has some cell phone reception if she stands on her toilet and leans due west, but other than that, she is out of touch for the week. Apparently her digs are very sparse, looking almost like a deluxe suite at Alcatraz, but with curtains. She has still yet to conquer her two main fears: going to the bathroom and taking a shower in the communal bathroom (she does have her own toilet, just no shower). But, it’s still early in the week. She was excited after her first activity yesterday – an exciting talk about writing. So even though I am sure she is filled with anxiety and fear, she is diving right into it. It will be a hard week for her, but hopefully it will be filled with reward (plus she might just discover that Jesus Christ is her lord and savior).

While I was helping her pack, I slipped a framed picture of her mom into her bag. I just wanted Lola to have her Mom’s smiling face looking over her out there. We all know that GiGi is watching her, giving her the strength to go in the first place. Lola will be thinking about her Mom throughout the week, and I can’t help think of the peaceful thought of Lola waking up early, grabbing her coffee and her journal and having her GiGi time sitting alone in an Adirondack chair looking out over the mighty Atlantic. That image will make me feel better that my love is so far away.

That's the boat. Lola is in the very front on the bottom deck, learning how to make a shiv out of a toothbrush.


Star Island lies dead ahead. Bring your own axe please.


Lola's room for the next week. She's already been warned by the RA to ease up on the keg parties.

10 comments:

Lor said...

You are a champion among men...a saint, an angel and a beautiful writer. I hope we all might find a Dan (kid taco) someday.

Anonymous said...

You are so thoughtful Dan...just the thought of her discovering the picture of Gig & then Lola enjoying her Gig moment with her coffee, brings tears to my eyes. Beautiful reporting Dan.
And just any fyi, if you had your own blog, I think I'd stalk you too but don't tell Lola.
Love,
Beth the Anonymous xoxo

Rob said...

Personally, I think she could teach the damned course or whatever it is.

Matthew said...

1.) How much wine did she bring?

2.) How many chairs did she bring? (I know she had got it down to 2.)

3.) It's amazing when you know someone is about to have a life changing event. I feel it in my gut.

4.) The thought of Gigi and Laura together every morning on an island is perfect.

5.) More Dan. More

Anonymous said...

6.) She does have the cheese & cracker platter, correct?

7.) And the travel Scrabble?

8.) How thoughtful is she with the tampon situation! Definitely one person I would want to be stuck on an island with.

9.) I second what Matthew said....More Damn it.

10.) Please tell her we are now stalking you in her absence so she can take as long as she needs.

BFYFM xo

Jen V said...

So nicely written Dan. Tears at the thought of her finding that picture. Tears on her end having Gig with her and knowing what a loving husband she has.


More, please.

becky.breslin said...

Dan...I was so thrilled to see a guest blog! I checked in just to see if I could find the Joyce's name because I forgot it and wanted to make sure Lola asked Joyce something about her pie making...I digress...but can you imagine how thrilled I was to see an updated entry!!! THRILLED, I tell ya! Anyway, this whole thing brought tears to my eyes...the picture, the over packing, the finding her writing friends on the boat...maybe I need Lola to share one of those tampons with me!!!!! Anyway, I love every second of Lola taking this adventure. Mattie, I wholeheartedly concur, this will be life changing and help to bring some much needed clarity to the fact that Lola was born to write.

Anyway, I love all you spew heads and the fact that you are thrilled for Lola as I am. Thanks, Dan! More, more, and more!

kidtaco said...

Thanks everyone. Lola is the true star though. I didn't tell you that I snuck a Fart machine into her luggage too - so I am not that nice.

In answer to your questions:
1. 1 bottle of wine, but there are drinks available (rumor has it she was a bit saucy last night).

2. 1 Chair - but it was the super deluxe camping chair with sun hood. She'll have the biggest chair there - not that size matters.

3. I feel the life change for Lola too - she is totally pumped!

4. Gigi would so love it out there on teh porch overlooking the ocean, plus the ghosts.

5. Working on more - this blog stuff is harder than it looks.

6. No cheese for Lola (see the unable to go to the bathroom note)

7. No travel Scrabble - it wouldn't fit in the luggage, although she did bring her Boggle game.

8. Lola comes prepared and always has a tampon on hand for a friend in need. She wears one around her neck for just such an occasion.

9. More, more, more

10. Consider Lola informed.

Becky - I don't think there is much Pie talk going on, but maybe a few more glasses of wine and you never know.

I'll try to update again, but just so you know, Lola really appreciates all your support.

jeavallone said...

Dan, how beautifully you write-if it's not your profession it certainly could be. As a high school friend of Gigi's, I was taken aback when I saw the photo of Laura on her way to her retreat. She looks so much like her mom that I could have been looking at Gigi from over 40 years ago. Thanks for the
memory and the update.

Anonymous said...

Is that a pot plant?