Thursday, August 25, 2011

Leaving on a jet plane.



I should be ashamed of the lack of creativity here, but I'm boarding in ten minutes and I have to pee!


Been on a whirlwind tour since my writing retreat, so my apologies for holding out on camp stories (it was too wonderful for tidbits). I ended up staying in RI for five days, helping Cherie and bro-in-law Pete as they ready to move into their first home. I packed, I primed, I got sawdust in my eyes and Dan said I came home a little bit tougher now that I'm a laborer. It is such an exciting time for them and as long as Hurricane Irene doesn't screw things up, they will be in their new home by this Sunday. It was fun to watch a sweet little family heading into one of those rest-of-their-lives moments.

I'm at the airport now flying off to Ohio for another of these moments, as my sister Katie is due to deliver her second daughter any moment. She's been at the hospital since last night and my flight doesn't arrive in Ohio until 3:45, so I feel like I'm playing beat the crotch. I'm hoping to be there for the big moment, but what can ya do? They grow up so fast but I'm sure a few hours won't make much of a difference.

While all of it may be taking me away from my writing, it is also setting me at the center of life's truest elements---first homes, babies, airport stank.

These were Dan's suggestions for how I spend my week away:

Thing you should do while in Ohio:

1. Enjoy the moment for what it is.
2. Squeeze Savvy often.
3. Make some time for yourself (a morning walk, an afternoon drive, journal in the yard).
4. Talk to your Mom. She’s on your shoulder these days. I hope you can feel her.
5. Miss me. I’m adorable.


He's right---he is adorable. And I do feel my mom on my shoulder. She's the one bossing me around, having me romp about tending to all her girls.

While I can't promise updates since I'll be hanging out with two-year-old Savvy when not nuzzling a newborn or caring for my sister, I will try to get some pictures up.

Wishing you all more of these rich life experiences...and less of the stank.

6 comments:

becky.breslin said...

Losey! Thank you for doing this and for taking good care of our Katjak and her little ones. Promise me you will make my buffalo chicken dip for her...she has been craving it since she left our house in June! Take lots of pictures, too, as I need to see those little ones.

Anonymous said...

Laura I was just saying that today with Kristin that you were on full assignment from Gig. You are doing her and the rest of us so proud being there for your girls. Squeeze the crap out of that Savvy for us, kiss that little baby girl and send all our love to Katie and Gary!!!

love Ame

Matthew said...

I've played beat the crotch before!!! But the rules were different.

Hus those little babies for me. God's speed!!

Sassy said...

When I read this at 6am I thought I read that Dan told you to 'Squeeze Savvy Softly'. I thought 'Wow! She is a tight squeezer. Who knew?'. That would put you up there in 'close talker' status. Then I re-read it. I agree. Squeeze her often. Tell Katie she has done good. Another beauty in the family!

kidtaco said...

Matt - That cracked me up!

Sassy - Lola is a tight squeezer. It's a bit of a probelm with her - I have bruises. she also holds onto a friendly hug for a few momments longer than is considered polite. Awkward.

Anonymous said...

So glad you beat the crotch. Your sister deserves two helpings of the buffalo dip. Matter of fact, give that woman the entire bowl, she just gave birth for Christ's sake!

Post the G.D. pictures before one of us hunts your ass down.

Squeezey Hugs,
BFYFM

P.S. Are you ever home? :)