Thursday, May 14, 2009

How much wood?

I’m starting a blog. And with that sentence, I’ve started a blog. At this point (my third sentence in) you could say I’ve been working on a blog for some time. I wish the word blog didn’t sound so Star Trekkie. I’ve toyed with the idea of writing a blog for a while but ultimately put it off because this is my gift. (I could put off procrastination until tomorrow if I wanted to. What is putting off catching up on facebook to instead watch MTV’s The Duel if not procrastinating on my procrastination? )
I’m not really sure what I want to accomplish here or exactly why I’m doing it but I figured if I spent even half of the time I spend on facebook here, then I could maybe make something.
Just gonna jump in here. The above picture is of Woody. He was eating breakfast outside my apartment window this morning. I’ve seen him several times in the neighborhood (he’s a bit of loiterer) but have struggled to identify exactly what animal he is. Based on google pictures I decided he’s a woodchuck. Is a woodchuck a gopher? Is that the same as a groundhog? (If you know the answer to this, please tell me.) I’ve explained him to Dan (“No, it’s not a rat.”) but, until this morning, Dan had never seen him. I may or may not have barged in on him in the bathroom and then opened the blinds (Did I mention we live on the ground floor of our building?) to show him Woody in a rush of excitement. I may or may not have filed divorce papers had he done this same thing to me. I sat watching him and taking pictures for several minutes (Woody…not Dan) until our upstairs neighbor whose name is either Sharon or Sandra came home from a morning bike ride and scared him away. Bitch.
So there it is. Not exactly the stuff of enlightenment but I held off on making any woody/bathroom jokes. (And I was making soooo many in my head.)

6 comments:

Matthew said...

I would like to see some pics of Dan in the shower. No? Yes?

Talk2mrsh said...

And so it begins. I will remember that I read your first blog and that it was vintage Lola, and I will tell people that I knew you when even your school journals were a delight. While your classmates wrote about too much teen drama, you were making me laugh with your account of an airplane flight. You may have been a columnist in the womb. Definitely since you discovered your toes and thought, hmmm, those are odd; I should write about those.

Lola Mellowsky said...

These are my sister Katie's comments on the matter. She's the middle child (aka animal-lover) of the family.

Here is my Dwight Schrute answer to this question of what the animal at hand is: it is a groundhog/woodchuck/whistle pig/North American giant squirrel which are all synonymous. These marmots look like gophers but are actually 24 times the weight of the the little Caddy Shack gophers (although I'm sure they got it wrong in the movie because that was a big animal). Here is a link to my source: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Are_gophers_groundhogs_and_woodchucks_all_the_same_animal

Lola Mellowsky said...

Mattie: I'll show you my Woody pics if you show me yours. (Must we always go to this place?)

V-dawg: You rock. I remember being excited to show you that airplane piece. I'm sure I gave you a heavy serving of teen drama along with it though.

Katjak: Can we figure out a way to incorporate the term "whistle pig" into more of our conversations? And "Giant Squirrel"---that just sounds made up.

Matthew said...

As I read V-Dawgs comments about your wonderful writing I was beating myself up, "Have you no depth, Matthew? Your friend is starting her new life and you want to see pics of her husbands pee pee."

GUILTY AS CHARGED!!!
PS The word varification no spam thing that you have to fill in to send this comment says ANESS... A - NESS ....soud and blend people.

Lola Mellowsky said...

It's okay, Mattie...I've learned to expect less and less from you as we've aged. I'm lauging right now thinking of you saying, "Sound and blend people, sound and blend." Very Ms. Hammel.