Thursday, February 11, 2010

Here's an entry I never wanted to write.


1, 3 and 5, I believe.

I was going to write about Dan and the superhuman that he is for spending an entire week with his mom as she recovered from gall bladder surgery, cooking her meals, doing the laundry, cleaning her bathroom, etc. (She seems to be doing better now, by the way.)

I was going to write about roasting a chicken.

I was going to dedicate an entire pictorial post to the massive hair wad---the Red Whale--- that Dan fished out of our tub drain last weekend.

I was going to write about watching Julie and Julia again and what Nora Ephron had to say about housework and blogs.

There were lots of things I was going to write about these past few days, but none of them was going to speak to the most significant and jarring aspect of recent life which is the fact that my mom has cancer.

Lung cancer that has metastasized to her adrenal gland, we learned this week.

My mom has cancer.

This is a very difficult sentence to write.

And it’s a line I wouldn’t have written here had she not given me express permission to do so. Though this blog may seem a contradiction to what I am about to say, I do understand a lot about privacy.

And I understood this long before I heard Nora Ephron say (in reference to the movie which is based, in part, on a beginning writer’s blog), “...There’s no question that people who are involved with people who blog every day often feel as if their privacy is totally invaded by this process, which starts out as a kind of harmless, charming thing and then feels very different after a while.”

I work very hard to avoid crossing the lines of others’ privacy (sometimes at the cost of my own truth, even) so I was certainly not going to discuss on here my mom’s cancer diagnosis in real time, as it was unfolding this past week; at least not right from the start when even broaching the topic of her comfort level on my writing about this in a public way felt premature and even wrong.

But she brought it up.

On Tuesday morning, as we waited for her 8:30 appointment with a Thoracic Surgeon at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, my mom brought up the subject of her grandfather’s death. In his mid-seventies he was diagnosed with liver cancer, given a year to live and met his deadline. (That could have been the most terrible pun I’ve ever made and was so not intended.) At the time, my mom, who had long-since finished nursing school, was taking classes towards her bachelor’s degree (and was also managing the minor workload of being a mother of two children under the age of four and pregnant with a third; a feat I truly can’t even fathom). As part of her course-work, she explained to me, she interviewed her grandfather regularly throughout that year and wrote all about his illness. She said how helpful and interesting it was for her to look at his death through that lens. Though my mom and her grandfather were very close (it was, in fact, my father whom my great-grandfather chose to be his bedside physician), as a nurse, she sees death differently than most; she understands its inevitability and thus is able to see it with the same sense of eager observation and curiosity that prompted her to enter the medical field in the first place.

“It was such a learning experience,” she said. “I was documenting the dying process.”

(Let me be very clear: I am not documenting my mom’s “dying process.” I have no such intention and, in fact, refuse to do so. I am writing about how my mom has cancer and her road to wellness. That’s how I’ve decided this story will end.)

Hearing my mom explain this about her grandfather though, realizing how writing had served her, it seemed only natural that I ask about writing about her illness. So I did.

My dad, who brought my mom to Boston for the appointment (I met my parents there), at first said that he did not want me to do it.

“Why not?” my mom said. “I did it.”

(For the record, I understand my dad’s hesitancy on every level. Who wants to read about how the person he loves most in this world is very sick? Who, while living through something such as this, wants to also hear the narration?)

But my mom got it. She got it from the perspective of the writer who often processes life through ink on a page and she got it from the perspective of the reader who so often is looking to see his/her pain reflected in someone’s else’s story-telling.

“It helps people to overcome fear,” she said of stories of sorrow and hardship. “It gives people hope. It educates.”

My mom reminded me then about how it had been the “Little House” books that had inspired such hope in her as a child. (It is after Laura Ingalls Wilder, incidentally, that I am named. However, it is the long red braids and freckles of a young Melissa Gilbert who often comes to mind when I am imagining my mom as a child, seeking refuge in these books.)

I cannot adequately express my relief and the gratitude I feel toward my mom for understanding this and granting me permission to write what I need to. Leave it to a mother to facilitate, during her own time of hardship, her child’s journey through it. Writing will keep me well during this time. I would have documented things privately in my journals (and will probably write more than what I will feel able to post here; though I will always strive for as much honesty as possible) but had I not been able to write about this---at least to some extent--- here, I think I would have had to quit blogging completely. How could I have possibly kept up a day-to-day account without mentioning the only thing I can think about? (This is, of course, why I couldn’t write all week.)

But then, it is more than my mom’s unceasing mothering that made her understand this; it is that she is a writer, herself. Like the long red braids she had as a kid, she passed this other thing on to me as well. My mom could never allow herself (or maybe endure) the sense of indulgence (or even the freedom) that choosing a life of writing sometimes evokes but, make no mistake, she is a writer. It’s why her letters to me have always been so lovely. It’s why she notices the Catbird that follows her around her yard as she digs holes and plants her bulbs and flowers; and why she has her own story surrounding it: that this bird is in some way the reincarnation of the man who taught her how to garden---her grandfather---overseeing her work. It’s why she understands that the emotional complexities that have already surfaced surrounding her cancer---the nature of a family coping, the bonds between mothers and daughters and husbands and wives, the sharp focus into which all of our lives have been thrust---is the stuff of the richest writing material.

It feels terrible and disgustingly opportunistic to even apply the term “material” to my mother being diagnosed with cancer, but I am comforted by the fact that she understands it more than anyone. In fact, she was the one who first used this word when telling me that I should write about. And while I can only wish that my mom’s sentiments that the dissolution of fear, illumination of some unknown, and the uncovering of a sense of hope will come of this for those who read it, I can’t honestly say that this is my intention in writing it. I am mostly just hoping for these things for myself.

In short, from here on out, sometimes this blog is going to be about cancer. I figured I should let you know before I got right into it. (Though right into it we are. Tomorrow, I will be heading to Boston again where my mom will be undergoing a cervical mediastinoscopy---a biopsy of the lymph nodes around the lung.) I’m sure some days will feel light enough that I will be able to continue to write about masseuses copping a feel and plenty of that’s what she said...but other days I simply won’t.

I already feel different now about things than when I started this entry. Hope fades into fear so fast.

Still, I can guarantee you this: There will be an entry on the Red Whale. Ahab is way too proud of that thing for me to not write about it.

10 comments:

Talk2mrsh said...

Your mom is an amazing woman. You showed me this with your Mother's Day post, and you have underscored it here. And she has raised an amazing daughter who, now that I know you are named after Laura Ingalls Wilder, whose books I treasured and reread, I love and admire.

Matthew said...

These are the times art comes to our aid. To help us and those around us heal. I believe it's the reason that the art of writing, music, cooking, acting, playing, singing, fixing old cars, whatever your art is exsits. Art is here to help us discover and enjoy -no matter how dark the moment is- this thing called life. I love my Mellow Family. I truly do!

Margaret said...

I love your writing, I am often asked why I am laughing, while reading it. But last night Nick asked what made me say Oh No. It was also one of those nights reading it that makes me feel like I am reading someone's diary, somewhere I shouldn't be.
But having read it (it has taken me almost a day to respond), I have thought of little else. I am a Mom, a daughter, a wife, I have felt this from every angle. I know I don't know her well, but I think your Mom is one of the great people out there. The short time I have spent with your family she made me feel so welcome, took time out to have real conversations with me, I'm sure she made everyone feel the same way, and she raised five daughters that are the same way. I will be thinking of all of you, and hoping for the very best outcome possible.

becky.breslin said...

Losey...I'm glad you are writing about it. I agree on lots of levels with that choice....not the least of which is how do you blog about your life without talking about the one thing that seems to matter most at this moment? I also know that mom processes things in the same way and she plans to write her own way through this recovery...further validating that this is the right way to process for some people. Anyway, the road to recovery is the right way to look at it and I don't believe that is us being naive. I think Mom is the toughest of all ladies and she has the will to beat this! The prognosis isn't ne necessarily against us (at this time), either...and I hope it remains as such.

talktomrsh, Mattie, and Margaret...thank you for your sweet words about our mom. I agree whole heartedly with you!

Lola Mellowsky said...

Okay, yes, thank you all for the kind and supportive words for my mom and family. It is helpful to have those whom I love know about this; even just knowing you know.

VH---Only love to you and thank you. Can you believe I've never read any of LIW's books? Watched Little House as a kid, but that's it. I think maybe this is the year.


Mattie---Nail. Head. My mom has already been telling me such incredible stories; I can't help but see the poetry.

Margaret---Thank you for the kind words about my mom and siblings. It does sound like in your short time with Gig, you got her down.

I'm sorry I wasn't able to give you a laugh here, but hopefully we'll all be laughing again soon.

Benny---Yes, "road to recovery." I don't like to think of mom fighting as much as I like to think of her simply thriving.

Thanks, too, for the support on the writing front. I really do appreciate it.

Erin Rodrigues said...

Laura, I love you- your Mom! your sisters(and Barry!!!) I am so sorry for this new struggle you are all facing...I just lost my Aunt and probably my most favorite person, to lung cancer and prey for everyone out there facing a Cancer struggle...I have NO DOUBT your mom will face this disease with strength, courage and integrity... thinking of you all and can't wait to give GiGi a hug at Katy's 2nd Birthday tomorrow at Amy's house...XOXO Erin

Lola Mellowsky said...

Thanks, Erin. Give my mom a hug for me, too. I really appreciate the kind words---she is a strong lady.

I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt. I'm sure life has changed for you without your favorite person here and I wish you healing and love during this time.

Life gets hard. You and your aunt are in my thoughts.

mom said...

To all of you, I thank you from the very bottom of my heart for such precious thoughts of me and my family. Lo, your write-up is like you've taken me by the hand and you are gently walking me through the most gentle of walks. I feel safe with you. I feel guided by you.I even feel informed by you,'cause part of the time I am in a bit of a foggy-like state. And I've watched you taking notes for me,and I'm so glad I don't have to be the in charge person this time like I've been when others have been sick. Thank you and Dad for looking after me. Our trips to Boston have actually been fun for me. Now, doesn't that say a lot? By the way, I love the theme "the road to wellness". It's so positive and so you. Love and kisses and hugs and big smiles from me to all of you,Ma Mellow

beth cicilline o'brien said...

For a long while we've wondered why my Mom beat it & others didn't (that sounds mean but stay with me). I told her the other day it was to help her sister through this sometimes scary process. While my Mom was sick I looked to my Auntie for so much and she was always there with an answer or a word of encouragement. She was my Mom's rock. And I can promise we will ALL be there in whatever way she needs us, however you ALL need us.
Your Mom is an amazing person loved by everyone who meets her. She's kind, caring, funny, thoughtful and smart. Cancer does not define her..it's not who she is. She's Gigi Mellow and cancer will be sorry when she kicks his ass!! So much love to my Auntie, Uncle and all my cousins..You are all in my daily prayers. xoxo

Lola Mellowsky said...

Mama---Welcome to the Spew! Look how many people have your back! I'm so glad you're reading this and you know it means so much to me that you feel the way you do when you read this stuff. Game on, lady.

And Beth---I think that's an interesting way to look at things with Kath. I think there's certainly a reason those two have dealt with all they've dealt with mostly by each other's side.

Thanks so much for all the support. I know you all will be looking after my mom and I feel glad to know that you guys will be dropping in and visiting my mom when we're not able to be there. Thanks for all your kind words about her, too. I know all the love she's given everyone will come back for her.