Sunday, February 14, 2010

La vita è bella



This is a surprise to me; as soon as I declare that I will be writing my way through my mom's illness, I find myself not actually wanting to. I can't even speak most of my worries, never mind see them in print. Every feeling seems too fleeting to nail down on a page. Highs and lows switch spots before I even know which is where; or even where I am with all of this.

This morning I woke up a couple of hours before Dan and spent the time googling and wikipediaing my way through lung cancer facts. I wear facts like a blanket in times of strife; they insulate me from cold sorrow or searing fear. I read statistics that sank like boulders in my stomach but still I hopped from page to page looking up words I didn't understand and then looking up the words of their definitions until I was back where I began: lung cancer that has metastasized to the adrenal gland. (Note to siblings: Don't do this unless you really think you want to know the things you're pretty sure you don't want to know right now. Wait until you feel ready...or at least until we get the biopsy results.)

Needless to say, it was all a bit of a downer. Dan came out in the middle of my research and told me he was in bed reading if I wanted to join him. I didn't leave my spot for at least another hour, rapt as I was in learning about the different types of cancers and their corresponding treatments. When I finally went into the bedroom he had a heart-shaped box of chocolates sitting on my pillow with a card that said, "My Lola."

Valentine's Day. (Before you get judgy about my ever-creative and brilliant gift-giving Dan going the box of chocolate route, you should know that I told him early on that I love this particular Valentine's cliche; it's like tapas for chocolate. Plus, we're not the VD gift type.) I felt like a shit. Here he was waiting for me to join him all morning and when I finally did I was too bummed out to sincerely enjoy the gesture. Laptop in tow since I had been planning to to do some blogging along side him, I lay down in our bed. And then he gave me another gift; he started asking questions about what I had learned so far. He wanted to know everything I knew which was great because there was nothing I wanted more in that moment than to talk about it, even just to say some of the stuff out loud.

We spent the rest of Valentine's Day morning in bed together, wrapped in our blankets and each other, educating ourselves on the subject of lung cancer. We studied its stages, learned about the side effects of chemotherapy, looked up words we'd never heard of like "oncogenes" and also those with which we were more familiar like "malignant," just to understand its properties on a cellular level. Dan asked me to explain things to him and when I couldn't answer we typed the question into a Google search box and sought out the answers together. He put his head on my chest and I used one hand to stroke his hair while the other navigated through medical websites. It was, in its way, one of the most romantic morning we've ever shared.

In the early days of witnessing this technique of informational immersion, Dan would try to talk me out of it, saying I was just making myself crazy. (In some ways I was; I've lost entire overnights to winding and seemingly infinite Google trails.) But now he understands that this is what I do. It gives me a sense of control, however false. I'm trying to stay at least one step ahead of this cancer. This week we will get the results of my mom's lung biopsy. (This was a "minor" surgery that involved cutting her neck and putting a scope down it---just to give some context of how "minor" any of this. Fortunately, she did fine and is recovering nicely. And, of course, she made all the nurses whose paths she crossed laugh the whole day through. Post-surgery when one nurse---a native Bostonian---asked my mom where the "caaaaa was paaaaked" my still-drugged mom answered, "In Haaaaavad Yaaaad.")

Since we'll soon know exactly what sort of cancer we are dealing with---either small-cell or non-small cell (WTF? on the labeling system, I know)--- it is important that I understand what these terms mean before I even hear the results. Nothing will frustrate and upset (perhaps even panic) me more than to listen to a doctor speak about my mom's health in a language that I can't understand.

Thus, it is imperative that I become fluent in cancer. Dan seems up for learning it too. Some couples learn Italian.

Our Valentine's Day plans are nothing special, just watching a movie at some point as it's our favorite thing to do together. The romantic comedy du jour? "Swimming in Auschwitz." (Another thing I do at times like this is lose myself to hardships that are far worse than that which I'm enduring...)

Candlelight dinners are so overrated.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone.

8 comments:

Talk2mrsh said...

Happy V-day, Lola. I think you have some very healthy coping strategies. When we were dealing with K's brush with cancer, his dermatologist commented that our family resorted to dark humor and she called that healthy. I asked a student of mine, a cancer survivor at the age of 17, for advice on how to "be" around him, and she said no crying. For her, the scariest thing was when her parents were scared and crying. Obviously, this is different dynamic so I'm not suggesting this is what you should do/be/say. Just offering up that we find ways to cope, even if it's going Holly Hunter in Broadcast News and crying every morning before blowing your nose and facing the world - I did something similar with a shower freakout almost every day. I like your comment about the movies. Ms. U of PHS fame says she watches Sophie's Choice any time she's facing difficult things in life and wondering "why me?" Thinking of you.

Matthew said...

<3.....xo

Lola Mellowsky said...

You guys, I got spammed (I think)! I was going to erase it and then I thought, given the topic of this specific post and all the heaviness around here lately, it was pretty funny. So I kept it...Matt's written more offensive things than---SEX----.

Speaking of---Mattie, what's that shit, an ice cream cone...a heart? <3 I feel old because I don't get your cyber slang.

Matthew said...

Oh, jesus Laura. Way to kill the moment. It's a heart. Can you guess what this is? ( * )

Talk2mrsh said...

I think it means "less than three" so it's a way of saying "just the two of us," maybe? Right, Mattie? Isn't that what you were going for? Give it a quarter turn to the left, Lo.

katjak said...

Laura I am so glad that you are researching this dour topic. Savannah has made it become increasingly difficult to nurse and surf the net simultaneously. She is very nosy and impulsive and wants nothing more than to type on my laptop while dining. I am grateful that you can keep me (us) posted.

beth cicilline o'brien said...

I am so glad you & Dan have eachother...No judgement here on how you spent Valentine's Day. We went to Friendly's with the girls.
I just think the world of you & the way you plan to care for your Mom. I know you'll brush it off & say "It's my Mom" but not all of us can be on the front line like that...I always had to get news from Jen or your Mom & not my Mom. Didn't want her to hear my fear or hear me cry. Please call me if you need anything but it sounds like your Dan is taking good care of you. xoxo

Lola Mellowsky said...

Okay, first of all, Mattie---you're an (*). I can't believe you were trying to communicate to me through internet symbol slang. What's a matta fuh you? I thought we were better friends than that. What is this seventh grade? LYLAS, Lola

VH---Thank you for the translation...is it that high school hipness that keeps you current with the lingo? (And is there a symbol for dickhead? 'Cuz I'd like to call Matt that.)

Katjak---I want to see those chubby little hands typing. (Savvy's, of course.) I have to get this Skype shizzle set up. Keep strong for that nugget and I'll catch u up on the homework when you're ready. (Btw, just found a flight for $170...gettin' closer to my range.)

Beth---First and most important, have you tried the Hunka Chunka PB Fudge at Friendly's? Do yourself a favah and give it a try...you won't regret it.

I totally get you needing to get the info on Kath secondhand from Jen or my mom. Everyone deals with things differently and you wanted to be strong for your mom...only you could know the best way for you to do that. I think I bury myself in facts for the same reasons...

Plus, as you know, there's nothing I could do better with my life than be there for Gig the way she's been there for everyone.

Love the image of you and Cathal and the girls out to dinner...what a cute family.