Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Gigi the Red




The chemo cooler is packed:

fresh salad with a couple types of greens, baby spinach, peppers, cucumbers, carrots and avocado for topping.
oranges
apples
blackberries
strawberries
kiwis
red and green grapes
carrots and hummus
cottage cheese
yogurt (I actually found grass-fed)
and about seven different types of organic nut-jammed bars (I would like a night of dancing at a nut-jammed bar.)

They said that tomorrow would be a longer day than usual because my mom will have to get IV fluids for an hour before even starting the new treatment.

We're all feeling a bit anxious---especially my mom, of course---but we were able to enjoy the night despite our dread. Tonight after dinner I was able to (with their knowledge) record my parents talking about the first day they met over 40 years ago at the hospital in New York City where my dad was doing his residency and my mom was in nursing school. They both remembered the dress with the blue flowers on it that my mom was wearing that day.

We also had a brief discussion about funerals which, despite the morbidity, was pretty hysterical. We've decided we're going to give my mom a viking funeral (20 years from now, of course) and send her off on the river at the foot of my parents' yard on a kayak before we shoot our flaming arrows. I also told them that if they had to pull a Thelma and Louise at any point along the way, I would totally understand. Wasn't joking about that part, actually.

The conversations are certainly interesting these days. That's why I bought the tape recorder; I don't want to miss anything.

Heading to bed now as the 8am call time will come sooner than I know. Life changes again tomorrow. Going to war, my mom called it.

A braver lady, I've never known.

3 comments:

kidtaco said...

That picture (and your blog of course)made me think of a neat little movie called The Rocket Gibraltar (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096003/)starring Burt Lancaster and McCauley Culkin. I can't remember if you have seen that, but it talks about a Viking funeral and how legend says that if the color of the sky matches the color of the burning viking boat, then that Viking was said to have lead a good life. I can only imagine how beautiful the sky will be at your Mom's Viking Funeral.

We ware all wishing the best for Gigi.

Margaret said...

I was feeling a little like a spoiled brat after reading yesterday's entry. I had been wondering when the next entry would be and when I saw the coffee beans each day I would say a silent 'come on!' (which made me really realize how much I look forward to reading your blog). I am hoping and believing and wishing for the best and for strength for all of you.

Lola Mellowsky said...

Danny---I remember watching that movie with you. In fact, I think I need to mock you a la Squeeze's "Tempted by The Fruit of Another" and say that you tell me that you love that movie every time it's on. Still, this was a sweet thought. I'll think of this every time I see a beautiful sky.

Margaret---You couldn't have given me a bigger compliment than saying you were annoyed with my tardiness. That is what I feel when the blogs I read aren't updated! So glad you hung on...I'm really going to try be more consistent. I thought about making a promise to blog every day in May but I think I'm just setting myself up for failure there. I'll pass the good wishes on to Gig.