Thursday, April 29, 2010

Reporting from the front lines




We've been here for six and a half hours and my mom is only just getting the chemo drugs now. The morning was spent doing blood work and getting IV fluid. Several times today I have said, "Last chance to run..." But as I type, I'm watching the liquid drop by drop as it collects at the bottom of a small plastic tube and into the line leading to her vein. No going back now. Moments after the oncology nurse connected the new drug my mom and I said a prayer to God asking that she be made healthy again through this medicine and that she not suffer too much with the side effects. Then we laughed, asking God to also keep a steady supply of Ativan coming. We later learned that while we were having this moment my dad, who left the hospital on an errand, had stopped by the local church to light a candle. (A great act of faith for a Jewish man.)

My mom is sleeping now. She's been in and out all day due to the Ativan which is given to cancer patients for anxiety and nausea (and given to Lola Mellowsky for social gatherings). She's been in a good mood all day having gotten through a fearful day yesterday. This morning she said, "I'm feeling brave today, Laura. God always does that for me."

I told her to give herself some credit, too.

Usually God makes it into my everyday conversation about as often as NASCAR but lately She's a star player. You take Her for granted 'til you need Her, I guess...sort of like a mom.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just the thought of Uncle Barry lighting the candle for Gig brings tears to my eyes..I have been thinking of her all day and hoping & praying she has a good day. Really, no words other than I love you all & I am constantly praying. Please give Auntie one big kiss from me. xoxo
p.s. this is beth but i forgot my password so i'm anonymous now

Lola Mellowsky said...

Beth, I just my put my laptop on Gig's chest and she was able to read your words for herself. She was so touched as were we, of course. How neat to be able to show her your sentiments like this. Giving her that kiss for you. Btw, I think your code name for this blog should be Anonymous Beth.

becky.breslin said...

I am so glad you updated the spew today, Lo...it helps me to stay apprised of what is going on...

Rob said...

I think I've figured out this sign up for google stuff so I can finally add my best wishes for GiG. I haven't stopped thinking about her since this crappy cancer started. I'm glad for this blog just to keep up on her progress.

It's not a good time and no doubt the wrong place, but hello to all the formerly little Mellows.

not anonymous said...

OK; so a Jewish man goes into a Catholic Church to light a candle and pray a little for his wife who has "the cancer". Suddenly a vision of his grandfather appears and asks," Excuse me, did I just see you coming out of Saint Anne's church?"
"You did, grampa", the man answers.
"What ever were you doing in there?"
"Well, the church was right next door to the hospital and I thought it would be a good idea as I was in the neighborhood."
"Do you really think it will help her?"Grampa questions.
"Well, it couldn't hurt, could it?"
In this case, Grampa would say that you can find God anywhere and every where and as long as you seek
Him out sincerely and selflessly it's a blessing.

Lola Mellowsky said...

Benny---Glad to keep you posted.

Rob---I will be sure to pass your shout-out on to the sistas. Happy to see you commenting on here.

Dad---Sweet comment. I'm wondering if your grandfather was really in your head. Was Zadie really there? Bubbie too?

Big Chirl said...

I'm teared up reading this... Love is in my heart!!

Lola Mellowsky said...

Glad you're connecting to it, Chirl. Love.