Wednesday, May 26, 2010

GiG is home.


Photo by Barry Alan.

A week ago today, I left New Hampshire at 5am in an effort to beat Boston traffic and make it to Rhode Island with time to spare before my mom's scheduled appointment with her oncologist. When I got to the house at 7am my mom was asleep on the couch, evidence of a night of awful sickness surrounding her. My dad was visibly shaken and tearful.

This was the start of a week that got considerably worse before it got better.

For right now, I'm concentrating on the better.

I wanted to be sure to let the masses know that GiG came home from the hospital today and is feeling better though the tiredness of a week of sleepless nights has caught up with her and she'll need to make up for the rest she missed.

I'll need to do the same thing. I have an emotional hangover. This happens. I spent the week in a mode of function and purpose; tend to my mom. Now that this particular fire is out, the intensity of it has just caught up to me and I am exhausted by a week's worth of emotion crashing through my body in one massive wave. The last two nights I've taken 5pm naps.

But, tonight as my mom rests easier, I will now do the same.

Sleep tight, peeps.

4 comments:

becky.breslin said...

I am so glad she is home! She needs to energy from that view every morning! Have some coffee with her in my absence...I'll be back on friday!

kidtaco said...

This is a real question - is that how you spell GiG? I have tried to spell it as Gig, but to me, that means an event for a musician to play. That usually makes me go with Gigi, but that doesn't sound right either.

Irregardless, I'm glad Mrs. Mellow is home :)

ellieb said...

I am so so happy she is home...my Mom, who I just spoke with, told me that there are lots of cars over there today...something I love to see--aka Gathering at the Mellow's! I am there in spirit...sending lots of love and light your way. I will be home the end of June thru July 4th and can not wait to see Gigi and fam.
Big kiss, big love...el

Lola Mellowsky said...

Benny---Better late than never, but I'm glad we were able to log some coffee time on the back deck.

Danny---I've decided to capitalize the second G to differentiate between my open mic nights and my mom...though I saw someone else do it first.

Ellie---Looking forward to seeing you, Jon and squeezing that little Knox when you're up this way! I know GiG will too.