Friday, May 7, 2010

I'm flexing my knees for this picture


I chose the one on the left. Your left.

It's magical. Yesterday, via iChat, I was able to have a fashion consult with Mattie regarding my outfit for the evening's festivities. I actually put the computer on the ground so he could get a closer look at my shoes. (I don't recommend squatting down to try such a thing while wearing a short black dress...ANOTHER DRESS!) I'm pretty sure all technological achievements of the last century have been been leading to this momentous occasion: having a bicoastal "Which shoe?" conversation. I was so awed by the experience that I wasn't even offended when Matt scoffed at my necklace ("No...") and told me that putting a pashmina over my ensemble (which included a green scarf around my neck for color...a look I apparently invented called Scarf on Scarf) made me "look like a priest." I'm thinking of bringing him with me for my haircut today.

I am writing this morning from the ever-trendy, ever-modern lounge of the W Hotel in Boston. (On a table which looks more like a mirrored filing cabinet meets Swiss cheese sits a book titled "Luxury For Dogs.") Last night, Dan and I were wickit fancy taking in one of the kickoff concerts of the Boston Pops' 125th season at Symphony Hall. More specifically, we were there to see featured singer Idina Menzel (who is one of our favorite performers and a sizzling third party in both of our fantasy threesomes) and to spend a night in Boston. This was our fifth time seeing Idina live including when we first saw her originate the role of Elphaba in Broadway's Wicked (for which she won an Oscar). (The Gleeks among us might know her as Vocal Adrenaline's coach.) The first time we saw her in concert was at a jazz club at a hotel in Cambridge...now she's playing Symphony Hall in Boston. I'm pretty certain there are Grammys and maybe even Oscars in her future. You heard it here first, folks. As expected, Idina was fantastic. She did a mashup of sorts, juxtaposing Cole Porter's "Love for Sale" with "Roxanne" by the Police that was totally badass meets Broadway which, in many ways, is what Idina is all about. Her talent is such that her gentle version of "For Good" from Wicked, sung not only a cappella but also off the mic, filled the room. Youtube her version of "No Day But Today" or "Defying Gravity" and try not to be totally inspired to do life right.

The Boston Pops were, well, also good. We expected something all highbrow and then they played the themes from Star Wars and E.T. and even Hedwig's Theme from Harry Potter. (Remember how it starts off all music boxy---that's musician speak, right there---that's what they played.) All are works of former Pops' conductor John Williams. As I watched all these musicians perform, I wondered about each person's story. These people have worked their whole lives to be on that stage where, in many cases, they cannot even really be seen. Most of these musicians appeared to be middle-aged or older and I wondered if their children were in the audience or traveled across states to see them play. I would like to make a documentary about this if anyone has a spare movie budget they'd like to squander.

Before the show (because I haven't the ability to wait until after 10pm to eat without fainting) we had dinner at a place (Dan picked out) called Tantric. The idea was to enjoy the sensuality of Indian fare. I was intrigued by the concept until I saw an appetizer on the menu called, I kid you not, Chicken 69.

A classy night, indeed.

2 comments:

Rob said...

Chicken 69. . . sort of lends a new image to hen-pecked, no?

Familiar with the Paul Simnon song, "Mother and Child Reunion"? Impenetrable lyrics, but he took the title from the name of a chicken and egg dish at a Chinese restaurant.

Lola Mellowsky said...

Interesting info about the name. Just listened to that song and it made me weak though.