Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Snow Buddies




It actually says “blizzard” on the weather.com report. I was supposed to go to a couple of appointments this morning. Not happening.

So Dan and I are trying not get into a shoving match while working at home together. We love the idea of this but we’re never as efficient as we think we’ll be. He wants to play with me in my moments of deepest focus (a treacherous circumstance, as he well knows) and I try to talk to him when he’s trying to quickly finish something up. This has already happened a few times this morning so I suggested that maybe we could set up a time to chat (which is ridiculous because our apartment is so small than I could count the number of bites it took him to finish his omelet because I can hear every time the fork hits the plate from where I am in the spoffice (spare bedroom/office for those who need reminding) while he eats in the kitchen.

So, I’m working on Volume 2 of Lola Vs. The Gym, but my thought is that I’m not going to get it finished and posted by the time I leave for Ohio tomorrow morning (that is if today’s mess doesn’t throw everything off at the airports). My ever-generous brother-in-law, Gary (is this his blog debut?), is flying me out to have a visit with my sister Katie and my delicious chunk of a niece since he will be gone on back-to-back flights that will have him away from home for over a week at least. (He’s a pilot...have we reviewed this?) And though I promised myself I would keep travel to a minimum (and, thus, work to a maximum), I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to have coffee with my sister and to teach the little chub-nugget dirty words. (She’s just over 18-months old...you have to start them early when they are most able to absorb a new language).

(I just turned around from my desk, sensing something was going on, and Dan was silently dancing by himself outside my office door in an effort to distract me...this is a dangerous game he’s playing, friends. A very dangerous game.)

So, I’ll probably be away from here for a few days (flying back to NH next Tuesday barring any other blizzards...though I know I just fucked myself by even writing that) and wanted you to know so you didn’t think that I had abandoned you, the blog, the gym, all of it.

(I just got a text message from Dan saying, “I need attention!” It’s not even 11 yet, folks. Oy.)

I’m posting this link because I’ve been singing this song all morning and because the last few days have been ass-kickers in regard to how much I am missing my mom. I visited my parents’ house for the first time since the wrapping paper incident and, as this is where she lived and died and where I spent most of this past year with her (not to mention my first 18 years of life), it’s very hard to be there, to say the least.

The link is to a clip from the show "So You Think You Can Dance" which airs over the summertime and was a favorite of my mom's (and dad's...and sister Cherie's...and now mine). Spending as much time in Rhode Island as I did, it ended up being a weekly show that my parents and I watched together. My mom and I even watched it on the tiny TV screen in her hospital room during one of her stays there. This particular clip aired the night she got home from the hospital after her second week-long hospitalization, armed this time with oxygen tanks for at-home use. Cherie was there too and the four of us, all exhausted from the emotions of the week, sat and watched together, my mom falling in and out of sleep. The choreographer, Travis Wall, explained prior to the performance that his own mother had recently undergone some sort of extensive surgery and that the dancers were representative of him and his mother. Sorry to have to do this to you, but I wanted to get something up before I disappear for a few days and all I have been thinking about is this video. Grab the tissues and enjoy.

P.S. Dan’s making SpongeBob Mac ‘N Cheese right now. He has won...he has won.

11 comments:

Lor said...

Lo,
That was one of my all time favorite routines ever on that show, now it has a more beautiful meaning...
Love you,
Lor

Lola Mellowsky said...

Lor---Of course you watch that show. Of course you do. Love you back!

Anonymous said...

Love the show. Love the clip. Love the song. Love you.

Safe travels & hurry your ass back here to blog cause we'll all be waitin'!
BFYFM
xo

jeavallone said...

I feel I am eavesdropping and have no business with my ear to the door, however I have to tell you how much I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your blogs. They have made me laugh hysterically and cry uncontrollably. I am a very old classmate and friend of Gigi's from the Pelham days, and tho our friendship was not enduring in the sense of continuity of years (I moved on to parts west, she to the north), she is one person among a very few that I have never forgotten, for many reasons. I hope you will not consider it an intrusion for me to continue reading your blogs. By the way, everything written about the health clubs is true-been laughing my ass off.

Jen V said...

Lola,
Yup, cried. Yes, that was beautiful and I feel like I can see you all in the den watching this. With that, the tears.
Love the thought of you teaching Savy swears or should I say more? Cherie's name is more like shit,right? Please give those two girls big hugs and kisses for me. Enjoy every moment. I hope that we can get together soon but in the mean time I will bask in your blog(that is when you get back)
ps how sweet, that jeavallone. Every day, I bet, someone new will surface and speak of how wonderful,sweet and caring your mama was. luv,luv,luv

Matthew said...

This song get's me every time. Was not expecting that.

Anonymous said...

So happy you and Katie get to spend some QT together. Sorry you had a rough week w/emotions. SYTYCD is my fav. show too! I remember that performance - it touched me deeply the first time I watched. The second time, with visions of you guys in fam. room brings it to another level all together. Wow...
Thanks for keepin us in the loop ;)
Much love,
Mart

Lor said...

Oh yes I had the BFIFM mnemonic down pat ;) thanks! Oh and I loved the video shout out the other day btw...very sweet that your family did that! I think it's fabulous that so many people like BFIFM and myself are brought together by this blog...that's what makes you and this blog even more amazing! Here's to all the blanket monsters coming out into the light! MUAH!

jeavallone said...

Lola,so as not to bore your other bloggers with my ramblings, I will send you an email soon re my recollections of your mom. I am an old fart at 61 and find that I have become very long in the tooth and short in the memory department so I may confuse fact with fiction and don't want to misspeak nor embarrass myself in front of any would be?/could be? new friends. geez, who am I kidding.

Lola Mellowsky said...

Jeavallone---- I look forward to hearing from you! And, indeed, you are among friends. I think this is the place where awkwardness comes to grow so if you're okay with that...you're in! Glad to have you here!

Anonymous said...

of course, watched the clip, loved it, got it!
Have I written that I'm glad to see you back on here?! Especially loved the karaoke picture on FB, so happy you have your sisters! (makes me happy that I have 3 girls!)
Nancy