Thursday, June 4, 2009

Do the math---we have a ways to go.





Okay, first of all, I'm not really sure if I'm allowed to post these little videos. (I have to admit that while part of me couldn't enjoy posting The Carpenters as the header for this blog more, another part of me looks at Karen Carpenter's gaunt face and is just sad. I watched that made-for-TV movie way too many times to be numb to her suffering.) Anywho, as I said, I'm not sure if I'm just allowed to post these things. Earlier today the "Wizard of Oz" clip went missing and I thought for sure somebody had alerted the internet po-po and I was on some kind of watch list (which meant readers!) but now it's back so I don't know what the story is. I thought maybe there was some sort of rights infringement issue or something but I'm just going to keep on infringing until I get a stern cyber talking-to.

But, speaking of rights---gay folk got 'em in the Granite State! Whoop! Whoop! (The second 'Whoop!' was for my brilliant segue.)

I live in a state where gay marriage is legal (or will be as of January 1, 2010) and I'm proud. It really feels good to be one of the six. I wish I could be proud of my whole country but it is what it is and I'll take it however I can get it.

That's what she said.

I'm sorry.

(As a totally inappropriate aside---with full knowledge that my two most loyal readers are Office fans---I have to confess that yesterday at an appointment with a medical professional, regarding the rigor of our work, I said, "I like it when it's harder," and then, without pausing, added, "That's what she said." Too much of The Office, too little of a filter. Thankfully, it garnered a laugh, albeit an uncomfortable one.)

Okay, back to business: I have to be honest, I'm surprised by how this feels. Every NH resident, gay or straight is a little bit more free today and I feel it in my bones. I feel that freedom. That's the part I didn't anticipate. But now that justice has prevailed (in my neck of the woods) I feel even more acutely aware of the injustice that was here yesterday and that which still exists in the 44 other states. I wanted this for myself, for my friends and family members, for strangers and for my country. But we all want this. I could throw out platitudes about how none of is free until equal rights prevail (and are federally protected) and though I believe this to be true, I feel it in a different way now. I know it's a good thing, this win. I will go to bed tonight knowing my little world is a bit more right today.

I just wish everyone could have this feeling. Six out of 50...we've only just begun.

P.S. Sisters-in-hip-pain: Having glitchy issues (a bitch of a glitch if ever a glitch there was) but sooo appreciated the input and am tryyyying to get back to you.

5 comments:

Talk2mrsh said...

It's depressing that RI is the lone hold out in New England and shows no sign of any real progress. The Catholic church, in particular, has an inappropriate stranglehold on our state legislature when it should be so obvious that civil laws do not affect what happens in a given church. They really should have to give up their tax-exempt status and register as lobbyists, but in true Catch-22 fashion, their lobby is so strong that that will never happen. It's frustrating as hell that I have two children and the laws of the land treat them in a radically different fashion. "Liberty and justice for all?" Hardly.

Talk2mrsh said...

On an unrelated note, I just tried to post this comment and had trouble. But then I went to the email account connected to my account for posting here and signed in. Then I was able to post without any trouble. The two seem linked.

Margaret said...

It is a little embarrassing but not the least bit surprising that RI has not allowed gay marriage. I hope Im still around when kids are unaware it was at some point illegal.
On a completely different note I have a bit of jealousy that I never seem to be able to find an appropriate time to say "that's what she said". Im going to look for opportunities! I should have made it my resolution for the year. Ive even dabbled with the idea of buying Ryan the tshirt because i think its funny, but then i think its inappropriate for me to buy my 15 year old son a shirt that says that. His Michael Scott Dundler Mifflin Rabies awareness t shirt just got ruined so I guess I will just stick with getting him another one of those until I can convince myself its not weird to get him the other one!

Big Chirl said...

It's only a matter of time, I should think until the whole of our Country gets on the band-wagon and legalise gay marriage...... Just like legalizing marijuana for that matter, they can't keep us from doin those things forever!!!

Having said that, Marg- I probably would buy that shirt for my son, and then Pete would kick me in the pants me for it!! But I'm with you- and I think it's funny- even if a tad bit innapropriate. hehehe!!!

Lola Mellowsky said...

I love a good inappropriate t-shirt on a teenager...especially if his mom buys it for him! Dan and I have been really bad with the whole "that's what she said" thing. We'll be having a really serious conversation and slip it in there and it changes the whole dynamic. Once you start doing it, it's sooo hard to stop.

And ugh, RI. Ugh. Though I heard there was some movement in that area recently? Gonna have to read up on it.