Saturday, April 2, 2011

Water's so clear you can see to the bottom, hundred thousand dollar cars, everybody got 'em


That there's a conch fritter.

Okay, I’m back.

You guys, I was in Paradise and I simply could not bring you with me.

The last week was spent in the warmth of the Miami sun and then I returned just in time for yesterday’s snow.

MoFo.

My Aunt Gail and grandmother, Mavis, gave my sisters and me (Cherie and I met Katie down there) a week of poolside bliss and the only reason I am able to return here is because I was revived down there. Conch Fritters, massages, orange Creamsicles, cappuccino every morning, Ruben’s Cuban, movie parties, Twizzlers, M&M's and popcorn in bed (oh my), rugelach, trays of chocolate-covered toffees and raisins, heavy cries, Bossa Nova, Miami rainstorms, Gigi talks in rocking chairs and, of course, bottomless glasses of frothy, sweet, fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice which Gail fueled me with all week. I could feel my withered cells restore and bloat on Vitamin C and sunshine.

We booked the trip back in February and when my dad’s brain tumor was diagnosed shortly thereafter, Gail texted me, “Whatever you do, don’t cancel your trip,” knowing how badly we all needed the break and nourishment of vacation. And nourish us, she did. It was a weeklong resuscitation. I didn’t even know how much I needed it until the first day we were there I lay down on the patio, had a cry for all the memories of my mama and the Miami vacations of my childhood that surrounded us and, face to the sun, breathed as deeply and easily as I had in months. The sun and love warmed my soul and body back to life.

Now I am clinging with all my might to a post-vacation high (as opposed to post-vacation depression which sometimes greets me). I even have enthusiasm for all the order I am planning to achieve in these last cold weeks (and even gratitude for them in this way) so that I’m allowed to go out and play when it’s time.

The shit storm is still here, there’s no denying it. But, even if it’s only for this minute, I don’t feel pinned by its heaviness. If only for this minute, I feel like I’m riding the crazy waves it’s churning up.

Thanks G.

8 comments:

jeavallone said...

laura, so glad you and your sisters were given this gift of a long overdue and much needed break. Hoping there will be some encouraging news about your dad soon.

Anonymous said...

Yay! :)
-Mart

becky.breslin said...

I am so glad you went and experience exactly what I experience the week before... amazing soul food is all I can say. Thank God for G.

Xoxo

Jen V said...

Gail and Mavis~some good people, I tell yah!
Glad you guys went.
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Laura,

I am so happy that you ladies were given some much needed TLC instead of giving it out. Beck got her dose and now shall we send Tara Lee??? :) I would so do it if I could. I love you girls. Aunt Gail and Mavis thank you for being so fabulous to your girls.
Love ya!
Ame

Sassy said...

Welcome back! Glad you girlies are all getting a little R&R and family love!

Talk2mrsh said...

"If only for this minute." Beautiful to hear. I got busy working outside in the garden this afternoon and was looking down at the ground, tending beds, planting seeds, pulling back last fall's leaves. Then I happened to glance skyward and realized I was working under a cloudless brilliantly blue spring sky. It was almost overwhelming, but I realized the "only for that minute" it was perfect.

Allison said...

Love you Laur...glad you had a great trip!