Monday, February 13, 2012

Dear Mom

I miss you today. So much. I want to know what you’d think of Whitney Houston’s death. Would you have cared? I just want to have a superficial conversation like that. Are you going to watch Idol? Have you had lunch with any of your friends lately? Any run-ins with old classmates of mine at the grocery store? You know, the kind where someone tells you to say hello to me but you can’t for the life of you remember what his or her name was. I want to hear you laugh when I make fun of you for this.

I want to see you at the kitchen table having your coffee. I want to see you with your glasses low on your nose, flipping through cards and receipts stuffed into a too-small wallet. I want to see a purse strap over your shoulder and your uneven gait walking to your car. I want to see your socks scrunched down to your sneakers. I want to see your painted toenails in flip-flops. I want to watch you watch the river. I want to see you lick your finger before turning the pages of a gardening book. I want to see you jotting down notes. I want to see your notes, your handwriting--- “birthday card to Cherie”, “breakfast with Betty.” I want to see you chatting with Dan, the way you guys loved each other. I want you to chat with me, the way you loved me.

I want to tell you your eyes are beautiful. I want to tell you I love your smile. I want to hear you say, “My girl, my Laura.” I want to smell you. I want to see your hair wrapped in a towel after the shower. I want to watch you brush your hair in the bathroom mirror. I want to see you rinse foamy tooth paste down the drain. The way your hand cupped the water before splashing it around the rim. I would watch your hands all day. Then mascara, then lipstick---the way you put on lip stick, the hollowed curve in its middle and thinness at the tip.

I want to see you bend to pick up a sock and sit down to sew a button. I want to see you hose off the deck on a hot day. I want to see you close all the windows before a heavy rain.

I’m waiting for you to tell me the crocuses are popping, the tiny blooms of violets rising through heart-shaped leaves. Where will we do Easter this year? You never did like ham. Remember when you, Dan and I spent the whole day on the newspaper’s Easter word scramble? Wanna do that again this year?

I want to see you on the floor playing with your grandkids.

I dreamt of you the other night. Two nights in a row actually. One night we hugged. The next you asked me what I love so much about you. More than everything, Mom.

I miss you being of this earth. On this earth. I like thinking that you’re out there but I get so scared that you’re not. That you’re gone forever---your face underneath dirt and grass---and I will have to live an entire life without you.

I don’t know why today. Why today is a harder one. Usually it comes at night---it’s early today. I heard someone say that when you think of your lost loved one---when a little thing reminds me; graham crackers and milk---that it’s you putting the thought in my head. Your little,"Hello, my girl. My Laura."

When I cry, like now, I think of you watching me.

“I’m sorry you’ll have to miss me,” you told me once.

Are you standing by me now, sad that I am sad?

“You’ll feel me holding your hand,” you said.

I search my palm for you.

26 comments:

Jen V said...

xoxox
Love you SO very much!

Sassy said...

Look in the mirror, beautiful Laura. She is with you everyday. You have the very best of her.

Anonymous said...

She hears you sweet girl! I am sure of it! I can see her smile right now answering all of your questions. Love you Laura!
Love Spamy

Lola Mellowsky said...

Love you guys a heavy ton. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Lo....what a beautiful video! She is so much a part of you, always and in all ways. But wanting her close enough to hold your hand is understandable...I wish she were still here.

Sending you lots of love.
JayDee
xoxoxoxoxoxo

jeavallone said...

Laura, your writing is so beautiful and poignant. Your mom has never left you-she is the voice that is guiding you when you need it most. Never doubt that. Thank you for the pictures-I only knew Gigi through high school. It was evident to all, even then, what a truly unique and special person she was.

Lola Mellowsky said...

JayDee and Jane: She really was something so very special. Thanks for getting it and for all your generous kindness.

becky.breslin said...

This made me sob.... I wish i was having a tasters choice with her...right now...over looking the river...asking her for guidance on raising Molly...and getting her sage advice back, in return....
i have such a heavy heart reading this... I love you, Losey. xoxo

Big Chirl said...

Oh Lo- it is all those everyday little things that I miss so very much too... I think of them constantly, and wanna hear her say how's my girl today. It's just so so sad, I miss her so much. Beautiful writing Lo & beautiful video. Haven't had a good mamam cry in a while.. Love you xoxo

Valerie said...

The love that is in the pictures, and the video, is at times unimaginable. The ability that you have to remind your self and your sisters of those little moments that are so special so many of us take for granted on a day to day basis. Thank you for reminding us all, how important they are. Laura your mom is always right there with you, she is what allows you to write these beautiful memories and stories. She has passed that on to you to continue. I know your mom was taken way to soon from you, your sisters, and everyone else that she touched, but when I see the pictures of her and her amazing smile, I have to believe that she lived more a life then most people ever allow themselves to, she didn't get caught up in things that didn't matter, she made every moment count, just as she made ever person that was lucky enough to know her feel. Big Hug to you Laura. Your An Amazing Gal

Anonymous said...

Laura,
What a beautiful letter. In every sentence I hear your pain. You write so beautifully. I see your Mom in you and all your sisters. You were her greatest accomplishments. Being a mother and grandmother fulfilled her every dream.
I do believe she is with you all the time.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and the beautiful pictures.
I miss her, too!,
Love and hugs,
candy

GerryAnn said...

What an absolutely beautiful letter!! I feel your pain and sadness!! Know that she is with you and always watching over you and the ones you love!! The only way I can deal with the sadness of missing my loved ones is to believe that they are with me and watching over me. I go to special places to talk to them when my heart is getting too heavy and always seem to see a sign of some sort that they are there! Hugs to you!!! <3 xoxo GerryAnn

Talk2mrsh said...

Love poems are the hardest of all to write but this is one of the most beautiful I have ever read, my dear friend. Is it okay that sometimes I love to read what you have written and just let the tears fall without effort? She is there, just outside your line of vision.

kate said...

'm proud of you Laura for sharing such an intimate piece like this. I'm proud of you for using your gift to hopefully find some peace. I'm proud of you for owning your emotions and putting them so eloquently into words. What you are doing here is so hard, all of it, and you are doing it all so well.
xoxo

Lor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lor said...

Oh God Lo...my shirt is all wet with tears now. I love you, I love this and I know she loves this too.

Lola Mellowsky said...

You all need to know that your words here---each and every one of you---hold me up in so many ways. I am so grateful for this world all of you have helped create. When I started this, I had no idea this is where it would take me or that I would get so much love and support through it. I am truly humbled by everything everyone has said here and so thankful to have such a safe space to go to in these roughest of moments. Thank you all for coming and reading and taking part in all of this. I really do feel such a special thing exists here amongst all of us and I value it so very much. Thank you and thank you and thank you.

Anonymous said...

So beautiful & still so heartbreaking. The pictures show such a beautiful full life of happiness. Just makes you long for more days....
I believe she's near but I wish we could hear her voice and hear her reply to our questions or thoughts. I just miss her so much.
I love you & your sisters. More than words. We are always here for you.
Beth the Anonymous
xoxo

Matthew said...

I love how Vicky described this, "A beautiful love later."

ellieb said...

This is incredible...so beautifully intimate and special. Thank you for sharing it with us. It made my heart ache. You are amazing. My heart is with you. Especially today. Love you xoxo

Anonymous said...

Oh Lola,
She is in every cell of your body and it is no wonder every cell aches for her in body. But she is with you every moment - she lives on in you and your sisters and she will never leave you in that sense. When you need her most, see her in the mirror.
Your memories of her etched into your psyche, that you have recorded here are so beautiful. I don't think anything would make her more humbled and proud than to view this post.

I hear her voice in your writing all the time and her presence comes through. Thank you for sharing.

Love,
Mart

Lola Mellowsky said...

You guys are wonderful. Thank you all for being out there.

Anonymous said...

Laura,

This is the most amazing thing I have ever read and could feel your emotion while reading it. I promise you, she is holding your hand. Im praying for you tonight and always. Thank you for reminding me what real love is.

Love you, Katie Grzyb :)

Allen Sefranek said...

This was beautifully expressed and certain parts hit home hard. Thank you for sharing this.

-Allen Sefranek

Anonymous said...

Beebee,
This is so beautiful. I love and miss you and want to give you a big running hug.

Elby

Lola Mellowsky said...

Elby---Thanks, my running-hug fried. So love that you're on here!