Tuesday, February 21, 2012

I cancelled tomorrow’s lesson

That's really me.

It's not a stomach ache!  It’s the swimmer’s shoulder, I swear! After practicing yesterday morning (on my own! all by myself! without anyone telling me I had to be there!), I spent the rest of the day icing it and then went to bed with a heating pad (which is, by the way, delightful). I never know if it’s heat or cold that fixes all bodily woes so I opted for both. And still I woke up this morning feeling like I had pitched nine innings and totally wished I had one of those badass ice sleeves to make me feel like a real athlete. (Maybe I should buy one of those.) I think it was racing the water walkers that did it.  They're fast!  They didn’t know I was racing them and I’m sure I was very subtle about it except for the one time when I yelled, “Eat that, blue hairs!”

There was an older woman there yesterday---I know gyms are "judgement free zones" but go with me here---who was water walking a couple of lanes over from me and she was rocking a full face---a very thick, full face---of makeup.  Also, the hair was very high and layered and teased and stiff. She caught me staring---I was just so impressed with the control---and I tried to pull off the I’m-not-staring-I’m-smiling thing, but she wasn’t having any of it. So I splashed her. (Almost. I really almost did.)

That’s me not being judgy.

But in my defense,  I’m sure Ethel and Dottie were laughing it up at my expense last night at Meat Loaf Monday over at the senior center.

“Not only could she not make it the length of the pool,” said Ethel, bits of loaf flying out with each word, “but at one point her little booby came out and homegirl [Ethel calls me homegirl] does not have a rack to be proud of. My Stanley wouldn’t have looked twice at that little she/him.”

That Ethel is such an exaggerator.  Stanley loved my rack.  But there is truth in her tale.  I looked down after an especially vigorous lap yesterday (dog paddle) and, like the world’s smallest lobster buoy, there I was floating on the surface. This is why I’m a writer who hides inside all day. I really do make a fool of myself wherever I go. It’s not a complex. Sweats on backwards and then the jug slip---it’s only a matter of time before I get caught up in a pant leg during my post-shower speed changing and take the curtain with me as I fall ass-up in front of everyone. And I bet I’ll be wearing bad underwear that day. And that Ethel...she would really make shit out of me then.

But my shoulder---this is where I was going---it hurts! I’m sure I’m doing something wrong to be in this kind of pain. I called my instructor and left her a voicemail letting her know that I had to cancel tomorrow’s lesson.

”Hey Coach, it’s me. [She teaches several people but I said just ‘me’ ‘cause she’ll know.] Listen, the shoulder is really wailing today so I think it’s best if I give it a couple of days to rest before hitting Ol’ Blue. [That’s the pool...it’s swimmer talk...she’ll know.] I sure hope I’ll be ready for the big meet Saturday against East Valley. I know you said the scouts are going to be there looking to see if I have what it takes to swim at the college level and finally get out of this podunk town. Remember when you told me about the scouts coming? When we were in the shower that one time?”

That’s an exact transcript of the message I left her.

And she left me one back! And there was concern in her voice. Nobody sleeps when the star athlete is on the fritz. (“On the fritz” is definitely a phrase people use to describe injured athletes and not damaged appliances.) She wondered what was going on ("I wonder what's going on," she said, with what I'm pretty sure was restrained panic in her voice) and she agreed that we should postpone the lesson until Friday so I can take a couple of days to recuperate. I’ll probably do some soup-can-curls to get my strength back. Coach told me we could cancel Friday too if still hurts at the end of the week, so I’ll keep you posted. I’m pretty sure the town is putting together some kind of website so people can know how I’m doing...no big deal.

And I’m in good hands. Dan will be waiting on me hand and foot.

Maybe I should buy a bell.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Shut the fuck up!" I said out loud when I read that headline. But upon further reading I came to understand your sitchy. And proceeded to laugh my ass off as I read on... that was a good one :D. Hope your shoulder feels better soon and you can get back in the game! Ice after use, to reduce swelling and heat before use to "lubricate" the joint. Joints generally like heat but important to keep swelling down after exercising an injured joint. ...I'm not just pulling that out of my ass, I learned this in physical therapy, rehabbing my injured joints.
Enjoy the well deserved rest!
Mart

Anonymous said...

There are too many laugh out loud, peed my pants a little parts to repeat... I just love you and your funnyass writing ability. The lobster bouy killed me. The visual of you falling out of the changing area did me in, fo sho. Not only could I picture it happening to you, but I could picture it happening to me, too! Note to self: NEVER go to the gym with Lola. It would be dangerous to everyone's health.

I need a dose of Lola every single flipping day.

xoxo
JayDee

becky.breslin said...

The falling out of the shower with shower curtain and bad underwear on killed me...the whole entry did. Still laughing...by myself. Such great shit. Thank you for another hearty laugh this week!

Erica Moore said...

I used to be a swimmer, and I had horrendous shoulder issues. Ask your coach to look at your stroke during the crawl really carefully. When you reach forward, are your arms crossing in front of your body, or are they going straight? Mine would cross in front, and it reeeally stresses out those shoulders. I wound up having to have surgery and now I can't swim anymore. It's very sad. Especially since I'm considering water walking now, and we all know it's a fight to the death between swimmers and water walkers. :)
That being said, this was hilarious and awesome and you are my hero for life. Tell Ethel that Stanley loves the boobage and that she should suck it. ;)

ellieb said...

Oh this one cracked my ass up!! And I love Mart's commentary about ice vs heat...good shit! The lobster buoy was truly brilliant! Love your word skills Lo, keep'em coming....they make my day!

Sassy said...

Seriously? 'and, like the world’s smallest lobster buoy, there I was floating on the surface' is going to keep me laughing all day! You are ridiculously funny!

Anonymous said...

My friend Annie told me about your blog becuase I am a swimmer and love a good laugh. Annie is Danny's cousin. Your blog is cracking me up. The images you have given me will sustain me in my swim. I swim with a snorkel which really adds to my dorky cp mermaidness in the pool but protects my shoulder and neck from pain. I also have an underwater iPod so Ethel and her friends can't talk to me. Keep writing about swimming and I will add you to my daily blogger list. Thanks for the laughs (you have funny friends, too). ML

Lola Mellowsky said...

Martball---Thanks for the hot vs. cold advice! And for pardoning my skipping the lesson!

JayDee---I always want to do yoga with friends but I totally would get the library laughs and pee my pants. We're never allowed to go together.

Benny---The falling with bad underwear is a real risk. I'm never wearing my good Danny skivvies to that place.

Erica---I think the arms crossing in front is exactly the problem. You called it. I'm going to try to focus on it now. Thanks! Good luck with the water walking! Dunk Ethel if you see her.

Ellie and Sassy---Glad you liked the buoy image. Hopefully you will never have to see it for yourself!

ML---Welcome! I am so impressed with the snorkel---I thought about that option for sure. And underwater iPods---who knew there was such a thing? That actually sounds pretty awesome. Hopefully you're not listening to the Jaws theme. If I keep swimming, there will certainly be more blog posts about it to follow!

Erica Moore said...

There's a drill you can do, Laura, that can help focus your attention on your arm placement. When you start to lift your arm, keep it close to your body, and then drag your fingertips along the surface of the water until your arm is fully extended. It really helped me. I had no idea what my coaches were talking about, until I started doing this drill. So, the next time you swim, give it a shot. In the meantime, Advil, ice, and my love and blessings to you. (And I'm gonna whup Ethel's ass.)