Friday, February 24, 2012

I cancelled today’s lesson too

I didn't want to chum the waters.

Yes, the shoulder is still bugging me. But more than that I had to call in “lady problems.” Just the typical once-a-month situation. Fuh real. This isn’t I-have-cramps-and-want-to-get-out-of-gym-class (an excuse I never used; yet still I managed to fail gym at one point). I was just like, nah, let’s not chance it. I’m sorry to disappoint---and, really, to have provided information that you just don’t need to know---but I gotsta be honest. A Band-Aid at the bottom of a public pool is one thing. A situation involving this is quite another.

Awkward lady talk aside, I also wanted to let you know that I am heading down to Miami tomorrow afternoon. We planned the trip about a month ago to have a visit with my Aunt Gail and also with the hopes of visiting my grandmother, who’s been growing sicker over the last year, one more time. Sadly, we didn't make it in time and she died last Thursday. A couple of my sisters and I were down there last March and she was still her vibrant self then, so I’m glad to to remember her that way. We’ve been going to visit Mavis (and my late grandfather, Poppi) down in Miami since before I could walk and my grandparents’ home has always been a special haven for my sisters and me. Gail took care of Mavis all year so we are looking forward to gathering and creating a little love pocket for her to rest in for a bit.

I bet you feel bad now for wanting to give me shit about skipping my swimming lesson. I hope to write---or at least show you video of wild parrots flying overhead---while I’m down there but we’ll see. The tribe is gathering and I may need to unplug. (And, yes, perhaps work on my swimming.) But I wicked love you all and have had much fun with you over the last couple of weeks. Off to pack---those bombs aren’t going to hide themselves. (I feel very ambivalent about posting that joke, even in my own home.)

We’re coming for you, G.Bird.

Fare thee well, my peeps.

Fare thee well, my Mavis.

March 2011

MELLOW, MAVIS "MAYBELLINE" 87, of Miami, FL passed away Thursday February 16, 2012 at 8:30am. Born in Mississippi, Mavis struck out early for adventure, landing first in Chicago before moving to Miami with her beloved husband, the late Jay "Poppi" Mellow. The two were forever honeymooners, dancing their way through 45 years of marriage, Lucy and Desi style. Mavis was the definition of hot ticket. With her red hair and impeccable style, she was the picture of glamour while her sweet Mississippi accent gave her a great southern warmth. She was beauty and she was love and she will be greatly missed. Mavis leaves behind daughter Gail Urban and grandson Bodhi, son Barry Mellow and granddaughters Tara, Becky, Katie, Cherie and Laura, five great-grandchildren, Molly, Ben, Savannah, Evangeline and Waverly as well as her loyal Basset, Beatrice. Graveside services will be held at Mt. Nebo Kendall Cemetery on Tuesday, February 21st at 11am. In lieu of floral bouquets, please contact Denise of Mt. Nebo at 305-274-0641 to contribute to a casket spray of Mavis' favorite flowers. View this Guest Book at www. MiamiHerald.com/obituaries.

7 comments:

Sassy said...

Thinking of you and Aunt Gail. 'Maybelline'! What a great name for a woman of sass. I hope she is dancing with Poppi in the clouds.

Lola Mellowsky said...

Sassy---Thank you! You would have loved her!

ellieb said...

Oh how I love thee :) Dear sweet Mavis....she was one of a kind! Can't wait to embrace you all very soon...Mee-aimi!! Xxxxoo

jeavallone said...

So sorry to hear about your grandmother. She sounded like a woman who embraced every bit of life to the fullest.

becky.breslin said...

Sassy! You would have loved our Mavis Maybelline! She was the sassiest, hottest lady I ever knew! What a gem. So sad that we missed her by a week....but so grateful that I was down there twice last year to see her before she took a bad turn.

Talk2mrsh said...

I sent you a song you might enjoy - check the g-dawg-mail. Sorry to all of you for the loss of this amazing lady!

Anonymous said...

Love that pic of you and Mavis, so beautiful, both of you!!!
It always sounded like a magical wonderland that you guys went to when you visited Mavis. I'm glad you all had such wonderful visits with her last year. My thoughts are with the whole fam. Mavis will bring you together.

PS. Please send video of wild parrots! (if you can) I've heard about these parrots all my life - would love to see them fo real

xoxo
Mart