Saturday, December 17, 2011

Here's a fun e-mail to get on a Friday afternoon


From: Danny Boy
To: Lola
Subject: Crazy Idea


When I get home, let’s take off for the Cape. We will stay tonight and Saturday---Christmas shop, get cozy, do Christmas Cards and relax. No plan – let’s just go. What do you think?


What do I think?

What do I think?

Well, I'll be honest. Because I sometimes tend to have an Aspergian reaction to change, I was taken aback for a minute. I had already planned some of our weekend---the Farmers' Market, pork chops, a movie.  But I "recalculated," set my brain to its spontaneity setting and off we went, arriving in Chatham last night at 10pm.

It's gorgeous here---beaches everywhere, pink roses still in bloom, white lights adorning some of the most beautiful homes I've ever seen. Our room overlooks a big sandy beach, ocean and then long sandbars further out. It's a great big room so we're not on top of each other and there's a fireplace which of course ups the coziness factor. When we got in last night we poured a couple of glasses of wine (oh, you know it) and I read my book under a blanket by the fire while Dan worked on Christmas cards.  Because life is sometimes perfect, I even saw a shooting star when I went to take in the night sky from the deck.  This morning I got up extra early and went and had my coffee at the main inn, alone in this stately room decked out with Christmas trees, red and white Poinsettias and a whole gingerbread village. My favorite part was the deck railings made out of white chocolate covered pretzels.

Now we're readying to head out for a little shopping in downtown Chatham, an adorable little town. I've been to Chatham one time before and fell in love with the place. I have little desire for a life more complicated than that which Dan and I are currently living but if a windfall were to hit, this is where I'd land---in a sweet little cottage with a boat.

My mom always said that if she was going to live anywhere besides Rhode Island that it would be on the Cape and I feel her all over this place; it was where she came for her last weekend getaway just two months before she died.  I'm glad she got to experience this one last time. I keep looking around and feel so fortunate to be around such beauty. My mom would love the whole idea of this Dan and Lola Christmas weekend and I keep hearing her telling me to relax and enjoy it.

And so we will.

And so will you.




12 comments:

Manchesttaaa!! said...

Soooo happy for you!!!!!! Way to handle spontaneity, and way to go Dan! Enjoy!
xoxo

jeavallone said...

cannot get any better than that!

Talk2mrsh said...

I am glad I didn't have to reach through the intertubes and smack you into readjusting. What a lovely, lovely gift. Your description got me quite verklempt. Enjoy.

Matthew said...

Magic

Anonymous said...

So happy for you, Losey! And Danboy...you leave me feeling all warm & fuzzy! :) You can steal another rolo cookie out of the spoffice closet, my man!

Enjoy every single moment together! Merry Fucking Christmas!

xo
DamnIt Janet

Lynn said...

"because life is sometimes perfect...." an amazing phrase.

Lola Mellowsky said...

Love you all BIG TIME! (I feel like you're on this mini-vaca with me which is just...fun!)

Anonymous said...

I love this story...Enjoy your get away & I really hope to see you guys this vacation. Love you
Beth the Anonymous xoxo

becky.breslin said...

Love that you guys went for the weekend...this is truly one of the most magical spots on Earth...can't wait for the Breslin/Mellow/Lederer/Waluk vacation this summer in that very town! YAY!

Jen V said...

Perfect. Pink roses. Snow. Quiet. Hope it was a great time for you two! xoxo

Talk2mrsh said...

What is the name of the inn where you stayed?

Lola Mellowsky said...

VH---Chatham Bars Inn. It was pricey but so beautiful. A great splurge.